World Lupus Day - Living with Lupus and CP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

World Lupus Day - Living with Lupus and CP

littlemissinnocent
littlemissinnocent Community member Posts: 13 Connected

Community member @littlemissinnocent talks to us on World Lupus day about recently being diagnosed with Lupus and living with Cerebral Palsy

My name is Paula, I was born with cerebral palsy. Over the years I have managed this quite well (even if I do say so myself). As the years have gone by, I have started to find things harder so after many appointments and further investigations I finally received a diagnosis of arthritis. I feel that I took this news in my stride as I am aware that arthritis is considered common in adults with CP.

Just as I thought I had adjusted to my additional impairment I started to get more pain, which I obviously put down to my cerebral palsy and arthritis. Initially, doctors agreed with me that the pain was something I would need to manage, and simply live with. Sadly, for me the pain seemed to get worse, eventually after a long period of time, and several hospital admissions, I was diagnosed with Lupus. To be honest I did not take this news well at all, I felt like it was my own fault because I had pushed myself too hard. I don’t usually like to admit this, but it is the Lupus diagnosis that I found the hardest, and the one that has floored me the most. I have less energy than I had before and at times I feel as though am struggling quite a bit.

Currently, my pain is not very controlled, and I experience tiredness pretty much all of the time, but I am being monitored closely by my G.P. and the hospital. The Lupus diagnosis has made me think a lot about the future and the possible effects on my mobility and independence. I have found that using my wheelchair a little bit more has helped me to maintain that independence and preserve what energy I do have, so I am able to continue with my job and do all of the other things that I want to do.

Being diagnosed with Lupus and living with cerebral palsy is definitely a challenge and of course I am very uncertain about what the future may hold.  There is one thing I do know, though, I have no intention of giving into any part of my disability or additional conditions. I want to enjoy life as much as I can.

Are you living with Lupus and another disability or impairment? We would like to hear about your story and experiences

Comments

• Nic123
    Nic123 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    That sounds like a good plan! I think maintaining every bit of freedom, fun and connection is key. Recently Ive beed worried about getting older, feeling more pain and being less mobile and isolated. Ive been having a hard time not dwelling, but I think it deff is good to focus on increasing the use of your chair (and the aids I use) to keep feeling positive.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Thank you for sharing this with us @littlemissinnocent , it can be difficult to get another diagnosis when having other health conditions too. "I want to enjoy life as much as I can." Love this! :)

All the best.

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Nic123 how are you doing today? I am sorry to hear you have been worried, I know some of our members will be able to relate to you. So please do not feel alone, in feeling this way. I am glad to hear your aids has been helping you feel positive.

Please feel free to join our coffee lounge discussions group.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Very positive message at the end of this @littlemissinnocent, thank you!
    And thank you for sharing as well @Nic123. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.