Entitled to Universal Credit? Anything else? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Entitled to Universal Credit? Anything else?

Options
Fitznspatz
Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous

I am asking here about a friend’s daughter. The parents are well educated and can work their way round the bureaucratic system but they have, to my knowledge, never encouraged their daughter to use the social security net and completely support her.

The parents are now in their 70s and are naturally worried how their daughter will cope if they become too frail to support her and then, inevitably, there will be their death. Recent conversations with them have broached the subject and I want to give them the best advice I can about what support may be available to Sophie now.

Her situation is this. She is autistic, anorexic, dominated by OCD and subjected to intrusive thoughts for about 60% of the time. Highly intelligent with a degree and a master’s degree from a Russell Group university, she is not able to work to support herself. Travelling by bus, she does part time clerical work on a voluntary basis at a charity advice centre but her OCD rituals, which are getting worse, means she is often not able to leave the house and I fear that the voluntary work might soon end. Her world, which already has narrow horizons, is closing in. 

The parents cannot go away from home for more than a few hours at a time and Sophie is overwhelmed with anxiety if she is away from home for more than a couple of days so holidays, taken together, are impossible. At present one parent goes on holiday while the other stays at home.

I am not very familiar with the benefits system but want to tell them what help might be available before, and if, they see a benefits advisor. To my knowledge Sophie is about 40 and has no assets of her own. On her parents’ death she could get a sizeable inheritance. Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Fitznspatz, when she applies for Universal Credit, she'll be expected to look for work until they refer her for a WCA (Work Capability Assessment.) To be referred for this, she would need to be handing in fit notes from her doctor.
    If they decide she's unfit for work, she'd hopefully be moved to the LCWRA group, where additional elements of UC are included.

She may also be eligible for Personal Independence Payments, as long as she meets enough of the descriptors, which you can view here.

Universal Credit is means-tested, so depending on her inheritance, it could wipe out any entitlement to this, whereas PIP isn't.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you Adrian. I feel much more comfortable now if the matter comes up in discussion and I will brief myself on Universal Credit. I am au fait with PIP.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.