Obtaining a part-time summer job — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Obtaining a part-time summer job

anniemax1968
anniemax1968 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited May 2019 in Work and employment
Hi folks, My name is Anne and I am mum to Alexandra who has spastic diplegic cerebral palsy and walks in a kaye walker and she is almost 17 now. A little while back she tried to get a part-time job (she is still at school by the way) to earn some extra cash.  She attended for a few interviews (jd sports, the card factory and kfc).  She felt they took one look at her disability and discounted her. In fact at the Card Factory they were downright rude to the point I was thinking of making a complaint on her behalf.  She really wants a part-time/holiday job preferably in a shop as all her friends have got one and the summer holidays will be so long and boring for her.  She wants to start applying again but I am frightened she goes through the same experience again as she was really disheartened last time. I know employers are not meant to discriminate but I feel that some still do.  Has anyone got some experience of this ie, how best to obtain a part-time job and employers who are more disability friendly. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks from Anne and Alexandra x

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi @anniemax1968, I am sorry to hear your daughter hasn't been able to get a part- time job. You're right, they should discriminate and it's infuriating when they do. I know from experience (I also have CP) I did always want a job like my friends! I have a friend who has CP and works on a Saturday at Primark. I really do understand how hard it can be. Have you spoken to a careers member of staff within her school? They may know employers that have worked for other students.
    Scope

• anniemax1968
    Hi thanks for replying. I don’t know why employers still discriminate in this day and age. I’m sorry you have experienced this too. I will mention to her about Primark as an option. I had previously said to her about careers advisors at school but they are not really encouraged to take up jobs as they feel it can interfere with their studies so it’s not been much help. Thanks again Chloe x
  • Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @anniemax1968! Has she thought about volunteering? Obviously this would give her experience and routine over summer. It also would be something she could put on her CV that employers in the future would see. I know it's not ideal when she'll be wanting a job like her friends. I have volunteered for years and found it really enjoyable as well as giving me that routine.
    Scope

• anniemax1968
    Hi yes she’s going to do that but she would like some paid work as well to try and keep up with her friends ie clothes, hair, make up, nails, meals out etc the list is endless! I try my best but I’m a single parent. Hopefully she will be lucky soon x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @anniemax1968, I'm sorry to hear that she's struggled to find anywhere. Perhaps she might be interested in our Support to Work programme? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    @anniemax1968, no that makes sense! It can be a long list can't it! You are doing great, honestly! :)
    Scope

• anniemax1968
    Thanks Adrian I shall pass this on. Many thanks. Do you know of any employers who are disability friendly. I know they all should be but they are really not. Regards 
  • oliva087
    oliva087 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    You can try online-based jobs. There are many opportunities for home-based online jobs now.
  • anniemax1968
    Hi olivia. Do you mean like doing online surveys. I tried them myself minimal payout for a lot of time spent I gave up or is there something else out there I don’t know about thanks x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @anniemax1968, there are some jobs which people can do from home, and therefore this can make them more accessible. Unfortunately, there are not a lot though! I really hope you manage to find something soon!
    Scope

• anniemax1968
    Thanks chloe it’s not the point though. She should be out mixing in the work place like all her friends instead of shut indoors. I thought companies weren’t supposed to discriminate Anne x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @anniemax1968, I completely understand your point- it really isn't fair and totally get why she should be out in the work place! I currently work from home as this suits my needs a lot better and still allows me to engage with colleagues. I'd follow up on the support to work that Adrian suggested and see if this opens any doors for her. Like you said, they aren't suppose to discriminate and I hope your daughter finds something she will enjoy soon :)
    Scope

• anniemax1968
    Thanks chloe we live in Scotland so I don’t think that service is available up here ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    Have you tried the larger supermarkets they are usuaĺly very disabled friendly e.g. Sainsbury's Tesco. I worked as a hr manager for Sainsbury's for 30 years and they have strong diversity policies. Application is initially done online 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Ah okay, yeah unfortunately this service is only available in England and Wales at the moment @anniemax1968

Scope

• anniemax1968
    Hi Jane tried Aldi with no success but will give tesco a go we’ve a big store down the road from us. She would probably go to work in her Kaye Walker. A know a few people with autism and one with downs who work for tesco but I’ve never actually seen physically disabled people x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.