Moving out if you are disabled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out if you are disabled

Options
Shauneyh95
Shauneyh95 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone 

I am currently thinking and desperately wanting to move out for my own independence I have registered with my local council and they are currently in the process of banding after I was put in band D then I said about my medical conditions so they are currently reassessing me.

Anyway I have done my calculations on various websites and I'm concerned about how much I'd have to live on. Also not sure if I'm entitled to 2 bedrooms does this count if I need someone to stay most nights?

I am currently on ESA &PIP high rate both care and mobility I am wanting to move out on my own I've been to citizens advice they weren't much help....I'm also considering private renting but then got issues on the bedrooms as most places are £500 a month and I couldn't afford that if I wasn't entitled to 2 bedrooms I've also been told I would qualify for servre disability premium and I'm also registered blind and have cerebral palsy  just need some advice 

Thanks

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Shauneyh95 Hello and welcome, as you. need two. Bedrooms and on benefits you may should qualify for help with your rent, and council tax. Some not all utility companies electricity providers do awarm front scheme where if you are claiming certain benefits you can register with them if they supply your electricity and get £140 off your winter bill. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hello @Shauneyh95!
    You can get special authorisation for a 2 bedroom entitlement to enable a carer to stay over. 
    As long as the carer isn't living with you as part of your household and is not on your claim (and not in receipt of carers allowance etc and not contributing to rent etc) you should be eligible for SDP. 

As Wilko says, you should also get support for your council tax and many energy companies offer help with bills, so it's worth looking around. 

If you go down the private rent route, be sure to get your permission for a 2 bed first and keep in mind the local housing allowance for your area. You can check yours here: Local Housing Allowance
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.