Second PIP application - worried to claim after assessor lied the first time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Second PIP application - worried to claim after assessor lied the first time

Options
angeljs
angeljs Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have several lifelong health conditions, the most disabling being arthritis in my hips and knees. I can barely walk and need to hire a wheelchair if I go shopping or out for any length of time. I've had 2 falls in the bath and just last week fell down the stairs as my knee gave way. I have a bath rail to aid me in stepping in and out of the bath, and need to use the radiator next to the toilet to help me up and down.

The first time I applied for PIP I didn't expect to get it, but I didn't expect the assessor to tell blatant lies on his assessment. I tried to make a complaint, but was told that without any corroborating evidence, there was nothing I could do, even though I had a witness, my son, and medical evidence that I could not have carried out the physical exam he said he carried out. It's upsetting that the government accuses people on disability benefits of telling lies when their assessors do the same!

He also lied about a few other things. I went through the usual appeals process, but because I was given all zeros on my assessment, I was told that no-one would overturn the decision.

I'm in the process of applying again, with the full support of my GP, but am very stressed out about the whole thing. I have requested my medical records from my GP, which I have just received, but it's a bit of a chore going through them all for any relevant information. My GP has also referred me for a wheelchair assessment. I have been registered disabled by my local council and have a blue parking badge and bus pass.

I've read so many horror stories about assessments that I've been thinking of secretly recording mine in the hope that at least I'd have some evidence if the next one lies.

I would appreciated any help and advice about the assessment. I'd rather tell the truth and lose than win by lying, but I'm not sure I can face another like the last one!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

When you say you went through the usual appeals process with your last claim, do you mean you took it to Tribunal and the decision didn't go in your favour? or did you just request the MR and didn't take it to Tribunal? If so then what was the reason you didn't take it to Tribunal?

I seriously wouldn't advise you to secretly record the assessment. If they catch you doing this then the assessment will be stopped, your file returned to DWP and you'll very likely be refused again. To record an assessment you must ring the first to tell them you're going to record and you must use the appropriate recording equipment.

My advice it to concentrate on evidence, rather than recording the assessment. If lies are told in any report then DWP or the Tribunal won't be interested in any of these. All they are interested in is where you think you should score those points and your reasons why.

Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to prove you qualify, not theirs.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What evidence did you use to support your claim? All they want to know is exactly how much your disability affects your ability to do things independently and reasons why.
    If you are going to record the assessment you will have to contact them first and agree to use the correct equipment. Focus on the big picture and have evidence. The main thing you need to do is to prove that you are eligible to claim the benefit.
    Unfortunately they have a very poor track record of contacting people for evidence. It’s a shame but there’s nothing you can do about it. Good luck to you. If possible I advise having a social worker to check your form for spelling errors or inaccurate information as well. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.