Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Servere disability premium

Sorry if this has been discussed before I'm in the support group esa so on contributions till support ends
I'm entiltited to Sdp but they send me a letter stating becauae I get industrial injuries which is taken off award I would be worse off so i only get my contributions rate of £110 
I would have thought if entilded to it you would get it if that makes sense
Seems has if being punished for being in support group  

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid a means tested benefit doesn't work like that.

Industrial injuries benefit is classed as income £1 for £1 when calculating Income related ESA. If what you receive for the IIB is more than both premiums then i'm afraid you won't be entitled to them.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mart746mart746 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    I understand that but if im on contributions esa why if entitled why don't it go on top of contributions muxh thanks 
    The premiums are Income Related and means tested and if entitled they are paid on top of your contributions based ESA. As you're receiving the IIB then that's classed as income, which means you're not entitled to the SDP because of that.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mart746mart746 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    No problem.
Sign in or join us to comment.