Housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit

EllieStar1989
EllieStar1989 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
I am on ESA. 
I Just got awarded PIP before my tribunal. 
I found out last week that DWP decided to award me PIP. I phoned ESA to tell them I was being awarded PIP. ESA said I was entitled to
the severe disability premium and filled something in with me over the phone. 
I phoned tribunal today and they confirmed DWP emailed them to say I have been awarded. 
I applied for housing benefit last Wednesday. I was told i can apply for housing benefit with out needing to switch to universal credit because I get the SDP. The housing are saying nothing is showing on ESA that I get
the SDP. I Also have the housing calling me telling me I am I arrears 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, the best thing to do if you haven't done already is contact the DWP and find out what's going on reference your SDP being awarded but not showing on your award notification for other benefits agency's to see and apply. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @EllieStar1989 welcome to the community. Glad to hear you have been awarded ;) I think it would be best to get in touch with DWP or ESA to inform them that your housing can't see that you're on SDP.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @EllieStar1989, do you live alone? Is your ESA your only income (other than PIP?) and do you know if it's income or contribution-based? If it's contribution-based do you have an income-related top-up? SDP can only be added to income-related benefits.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • EllieStar1989
    EllieStar1989 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I live alone. ESA and PIP are my only income. I am told it’s income related 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @EllieStar1989, thanks for confirming (I was checking because SDP can only be added to income-related benefits, so if yours was only contribution-based you wouldn't have SDP added correctly).

Can I ask, did you submit an application for housing benefit or were you just advised when you went to apply that your SDP isn't showing? Have you managed to be in touch with DWP at all to check whether your SDP has been awarded correctly? Have you had any changed payments through yet?

You definitely shouldn't apply for Universal Credit while this is sorted as you will lose entitlement to SDP. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi,

It can take a few weeks for the SDP to start once you apply. Once they have updated the computer you'll be able to claim housing benefit but you won't be able to claim it until this is done. Housing benefit can be backdated for 1 month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.