Is it just me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it just me?

Options
Topkitten
Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
Is it? Or do others get fed up with the number of adverts on TV for Cancer donations?

I don't say this lightly but I believe that such a preponderance has come about simply due to them taking advantage of people's paranoia regarding death. It upsets me as there is only just so much money that is available for donation to research and the vast majority must now be going to Cancer research leaving everyone else with little support and little hope for a cure.

Consider that Cancer is an illness and NOT a disability until very late on and I am sure that people suffering such conditions as Multiple Sclerosis would dearly love to have a 50/50 chance of being cured. The even less well known conditions such as ME, CFS, Fibro and others simply no longer get a look in and consequently sufferers have little hope of a cure due to a complete lack of funding for research.

I am not trying to belittle those that suffer Cancer or those who have lost someone to it as it is a terrible disease. I just wish charities such as Macmillan did not keep rubbing my nose in the fact that they provide advice and physical and financial support to Cancer patients, something most disabled get very little of.

I am sure some people may object t my statements but we do live in a democracy and perhaps a better system would be to have a central charity with a democratically voted for breakdown of the distribution of funds rather than being constantly bombarded with adverts for Cancer, Pets, Children overseas and even animals overseas.

One thing I would like to point out though is that in order to continually screen such adverts just how much of those donations are being diverted into advertising instead of funding research?

TK
"I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    i'm fed up with most charities and adverts full stop, while some are very good and useful, others have a tendency to spend far to much on staff and overheads with little left to help those in which it meant to be helping, with those at the top creaming a high salary and a really good pension off the free giving of others, can remember a close friend telling me how much she earned running 3 charities shops on the east coast, and just spending an hour or so each day in each one just collecting the money and doing the paper work, while nearly all of the shops hours were run by those who were working for free, there's plenty of news in the media each year how another major one is done for this and that, seems it's part and parcel of the norm now days, fat cats and over paid managers, living a high life while those in need get less and less
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh YES so do agree with you.
    And don't forget water aid.i know someone who works for that. There's a large amount of water under Africa and water aid set up taps ....then they let the kids leave the taps running.
    When that water runs out an it WILL they will want water aid to produce more. there ISN'T ANY. But water aid isnt telling them that.
    Iv had cancer. It kept coming back. The arthritis is much worse 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.