Reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Suzilou Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I have just been told I must be reassessed for pip. I want to have the meeting recorded but am unsure the best way to do this as they say it is my responsibility. 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger

    Hi @Suzilou

    To record  a PIP assessmet you do need to supply equipement that will produce two identical copies either on CD or cassette. Two relatively cheap cassette recorders will do the job.
    Do you have someone that can operate the equipment ? If doing so your self, think about how your ability to do so will look to an assessor

    Audio recording of PIP consultations

    1.6.56 The audio recording of face-to-face consultations is not currently part of the contractual specification for PIP assessments.

    1.6.57 Claimants may use their own equipment to audio record their face-to-face consultation, should they wish to, subject to any reasonable conditions the DWP chooses to impose on such recordings. These reasonable conditions are:

    • the claimant must inform the AP in advance that they wish to audio record their consultation. This is to allow the AP to ensure that the HP scheduled to carry out the consultation is willing to be recorded. If the HP is unwilling to be audio recorded, an alternative appointment should be made with an HP who is willing

    • the claimant must be able to provide a complete and accurate copy of the audio recording to the HP at the end of the consultation. For this reason, certain devices that are capable of editing, real-time streaming or video recording the session are not approved. Non-approved devices include (but are not limited to) PCs, tablets, smart phones, MP3 players, smart watches, and devices that are not capable of providing a verifiable media copy that can be easily checked during the assessment. Acceptable formats for such recordings are restricted to CD and audio cassette only

    • the claimant must sign a consent form in which they agree to provide a copy of the audio recording and not use the audio recording for unlawful purposes

    1.6.58 APs must publicise these conditions and ideally include them in communications sent to claimants before they attend a face-to-face consultation.

    1.6.59 Video recording of consultations is not permitted. This is to ensure the safety and privacy of staff and other claimants.

    Restrictions on claimants’ use of recordings

    1.6.60 If it is only the claimant’s personal data that is being recorded then there are no restrictions on the use the claimant can make of the recording. However, the DWP reserves the right to take appropriate action where the recording is used for unlawful purposes – for example, if it is altered and published for malicious reasons.

    Covert recording of consultations

    1.6.61 If the HP notices that a claimant is covertly recording their consultation, the restrictions relating to the recording of consultations should be explained to the claimant. If the HP is content to be recorded, the claimant is content to sign the agreement form and the claimant’s equipment meets the specified requirements, the consultation can continue. If this is not the case the claimant should be asked to stop recording. If the claimant refuses, the consultation should be terminated and the case should be returned to the DWP using the return assessment function with reason failure to participate. The CM will consider whether the claimant has good reason for failing to participate in the consultation.

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    You can get two cassette recorders from Argos, but I would take on board what CR has said above.
  • Suzilou
    Suzilou Member Posts: 4 Listener


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.