if i give up work what financial support is available? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

if i give up work what financial support is available?

Jimbod58
Jimbod58 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Been in my job almost 2 yrs developed numer disabilities affecting my job no support from employer so far sight problems double vision awaiting thyroid needing removed fibro and arthritis if i give up work what financial support is available?  My partner works we have mortgage

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

First thing you need to look at is SSP from your employer with a fit note from your GP. This is payable for 28 weeks.

Once that is coming to an end if you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 years then you'll be able to claim New Style ESA with a fit note from your GP. This is only payable for 365 days unless placed into the Support Group. It pays £73.10 per week for over 25's.

Have you also spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place? You shouldn't just give up work without first speaking to ACAS.

PIP maybe possible but this will depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors, it's not about a diagnosis. You must also have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. It's also not a means tested benefit. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

There would be no help for your mortgage.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Jimbod58 and welcome to the community.

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with your job, have they made any reasonable adjustments for you?

I hope Poppy has answered your queries regarding financial support but please ask if there’s anything you don’t understand or want more information about. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jimbod58
    Jimbod58 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes i got pip 257 a month i dropped a days work 
    No adjustments yet but working on  that it is going to deteriorate...eyes.  i was awarded pip b4 eye condition but scared to update in case i lose altogether?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jimbod58, you are supposed to update of any change to your circumstances, even if it is to report a worsening condition, but it is always advisable to seek face to face support before doing so because while it shouldn't, as you say, it can put your whole award at risk. 

Do you have a local CAB near you that you could speak with?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.