Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Out of jail was on PIP(still am) and ESA please help with UC

jedimafiajedimafia Member Posts: 13 Listener
Hoping somone can help me.  I've sadly been in jail for 16month so somewhat lost in the benefit reclaiming.  My PIP is back on with a high care award.  ESA website claims i could still claim but have been forced onto UC.  They say I have to attend a initial claim commitment meeting.  Can this not be avoided via a sicknote and the fact I still have PIP.  I should still have an ESA work assessment award if they could use this if anyone knows.  I also have to go in with ID (birth certificate/bank card) think ill take my only monthly dose of temazepam for that, is it stricltly by appointment cause that is what their telling me.  Where do i stand

Any guidance will be real appreciated.  Thanks


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,953

    Scope community team

    Hello @jedimafia and welcome to the community.

    Can I ask, do you currently live with anyone and does anyone claim Carers Allowance for you? Just checking as this would affect your next steps. 
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • jedimafiajedimafia Member Posts: 13 Listener
    As per carers allowance i have high rate care pip so presumably im entitled do it?  Previously I was awaraded the severe disability element instead of having an allotted carer.  Can this still be done?  I'm currently between 2 addresses so have a c/o address
  • Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    Do you not have a parole officer helping you sort all this? They should be so sorry if they’re not!! You can’t claim Carers allowance for yourself unfortunately. Also, you won’t be able to go back on to ESA as it’s been more than 6 weeks so it would need to be a fresh application. You can’t do this any more without Severe Disability Premium and as you have no income related benefits you can’t get the SDP top up so your only option is to claim universal credit I’m afraid @jedimafia.

    You will need to hand in sick notes to universal credit and get a new Work Capability Assessment which will determine whether you have limited capacity to work (universal credits version of ESA). 

    You have to go go to your initial commitments meeting but they should be able to do it at the same time as your ID interview so double check this. You need to hand in sick notes to universal credit as soon as possible and report you have limited capacity to work.
  • jedimafiajedimafia Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Getting my head round it now thanks.  I have a cpn type worker but he only does so much,  I heard on the news that new claimants to UC can have their previous work capability assessments looked up and used instead of a new one.  Can i do this?  My last one was signed off for 4 years like 20 months ago now at the highest rate but the ESA claim was ob visually closed due to incarceration. Dont see how it should affect the continunitity of the previously valid assessment  It affected me a lot having to go through with it, so best to avoid it.  Or am i just heavily dreaming here.  They told me on the phone i'd need a new assessment without checking, i know how often they blag everyone off uc :(

    Still confused with the carer element?  Am I eligible to have my in affect carer paid now and is this completely separate to UC.  She doesnt live with me but is planning to be housed with me and claims the lowest rate of ESA so presumably perfectly eledgible.  She's more like my mum
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm afraid you will need to send in sick/fit notes for your UC claim because your ESA claim was closed the award you had with that no longer exists and another work capability assessment is needed.

    Carers allowance, someone can claim that for their self for looking after you, providing they look after you for at least 35 hours per week. Does your carer claim Income Related ESA or Contributions based? If it's Income related then yes she can claim the carers allowance. Link here. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.