New ideas for summer activities — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New ideas for summer activities

April2018mom
April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
I need new ideas for summer activities. So far my very limited list includes road trips and a family picnic. We also planned a couple of cycle rides and weekends exploring other parts of the country. Can anyone else suggest anything new? The only weatherproof idea I can think of is trips to the library. Even better if learning occurs. Thanks in advance!! 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I always love a picnic! Have you looked at National Trust places that are near you? They are always a lovely family day out and are across the country. When I was younger I loved building dens in the living room, great for a rainy day! We used to get bed sheets and chairs and use pegs to attach it all together. Or we used to set up a little tent in the garden :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    We may go on a Father Day’s picnic on Thursday. I live near Box Hill, I love it there. 
  • brydiedwards
    brydiedwards Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    That all sounds lovely! Not a massively exciting suggestion but have you ever considered painting? Can be done indoors or outdoors (especially watercolour) and a therapeutic way to pass a few hours!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope that goes to plan @April2018mom and that's such a lovely idea @brydiedwards

Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    @April2018mom Maybe baking some little fairy cakes or rice cereal chocolate cakes. Or helping care of some indoor plants. A treasure hunt? Marble painting. Hope you have a wonderful summer.
  • April2018mom
    I will try them. We are going on a picnic tomorrow in the countryside. In my apartment Friday is baking/cooking day. I’m hoping to make cupcakes or cookies then. Wish me luck as the kids will be helping me. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @April2018mom some of the things I did with my daughter when she was younger:

Bug hunting, spread some honey over a paper plate, place somewhere it won't be noticed or disturbed and go back the next day and see what we found.

Creating bespoke cards, using her picture as the back of playing cards. (if  you have a printer)

One the kids may enjoy, create a new board game. We created a board game to learn how to tell the time. It was made to include different age groups, and included home made analogue, digital 12 hour clock and digital 24 hour clock.

One of my favourite activities with my daughter was to find simple science projects, lots on the internet, and best thing was many were done with things we already had.

Something I did at one our community events was to have a street art competition. Different coloured chalks, and we used the paving stones as the canvas. What I loved was watching our youngest residents working with some of our oldest residents on their masterpieces.

I found once we started doing things it became easier to come up with new ideas, the best thing is yes it helps to find things to do with the children during the long summer holiday, but also for keeping them occupied during winter and they cannot get out so much.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    @April2018mom Good luck. Friday sounds like it is going to be a delicious cake-filled day. 
  • April2018mom
    Thank you. I’ll also look for opportunities to teach them basic reading, spelling and counting skills too. We do have a computer and printer, I use them to create cool flyers and leaflets for my babysitting business. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.