UC natural/managed migration - SDP etc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC natural/managed migration - SDP etc

GG44 Member Posts: 28 Connected
edited June 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have a disabled friend who recently cancelled her plans to move location as in doing so she would have to claim Universal Credit for her Housing Benefit claim. Though she doesn't receive an SDP in here current claims or her Housing Benefit , she will still be a lot worse off by moving. I think they call this Natural Migration to UC and I believe people who are on Premiums will lose out , others too. I have heard that Managed Migration to UC , which could be coming to some people in 4 years or so , will protect these premiums etc. Sad to see that this can stop some people moving on in life.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi @GG44 It is certainly sad that people's lives are so significantly effected.  Not everyone is financially worse off on UC, but many are, so it is always worth people checking for their specific situation.  There are also significant cultural changes that people have to adapt to when on UC such as monthly payments and online managed accounts.  Some groups do not have to claim UC, as you rightly say, anyone with a Severe Disability Premium in their Income Support, JSA, Housing Benefit or ESA are protected presently, and of course UC does not apply to anyone over retirement age.  But indeed, and change such as claiming UC  can have a major impact.  Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.