Backpay from ESA tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Backpay from ESA tribunal

Good afternoon
My partner won his ESA tribunal after 12months of waiting. My query is this please. 
His assessment was on 8/6/18 he moved different areas and was forced to claim UC as it was live in New area on 15/6/18. He was told on 25/6/18 he had been unsuccessful and scored 0 points so sent off MR and then appeal.
I moved in with him on 23/7/18 and joined his UC claim and had to come off income related ESA and onto contribution and they added lcwra award to our UC  

So after his success this week the court say he should be awarded lcwra and no assessment for 24m
Will he be entitled to a full 12m back pay or just a few weeks until the date we made a joint claim for UC? And what will happen as we both have lcwra please 
It's really the back pay we're interested in as the court papers say appeal awarded but that's it .

Many thanks for reading and appreciate guidance 


  • marlbeau
    marlbeau Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, yes to sick notes but not had to have a wca even tho they sent him a assessment booklet, because he was going through a ESA appeal he was told he didn't have to go to a wca
  • marlbeau
    marlbeau Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Ok, he filled out his claim for UC single benefit before I moved in, so they'll be about 1month of single person UC from about 15/6/18 to 23/7/18 that's when I moved in. So initially they'll only backdate from when he failed ESA to 23/7/18?
    Will they know all this and send it out in a letter then or are we going to have to use our noggins here and ask for that form, thank you and sad it won't b a full 12month backpay
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Good morning @marlbeau and welcome to the community. :)
    This is complicated further by his assessment dates on UC, from the dates you've provided he will have only been on the single claim for 1 month, so if awarded back pay it'll only be for that 1 assessment period. 
    In theory, these things should take place automatically, however experience shows that isn't always the case. It would be worth him getting in touch with Universal Credit and asking them to send a MPG1 form to ESA to confirm his status. 
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.