STIGMA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

STIGMA

esthermb1996
esthermb1996 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
I am a young mum with a mental illness and I also have a toddler with cerebral palsy. For a long time I isolated myself, and was ashamed to share my own diagnosis with family and kept my daughters diagnosis from my friends. I didn’t feel comfortable to speak out because of the stigmas attached. I’ve written a blog about stigma, so hopefully this encourages at least one person so start talking! https://allforzariah.com/2019/06/14/letstalkstigma/

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @esthermb1996,
    Your blog is totally inspiring and a great read.  Thank you for sharing.  I'm so glad that writing helps to break down stigma for you as we all need to talk more openly about things and not bottle our feelings up.  Although this is sometimes easier said than done.  I wish you and your daughter all the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing your story.  Writing is therapeutic isn’t it? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @esthermb1996, another great entry in your blog, thank you for sharing it with us! How are you and Zariah today? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.