Making our own disability aids — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Making our own disability aids

EcologicalMS
EcologicalMS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Recently my husband threw out the box for my manual wheelchair. - with the cushion inside! So I made my own - from West African prints. No more  boring black fabric. Now I am making hands-free bags so I can carry my mobile phone whilst using crutches. I never lose my phone now!

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EcologicalMS.
    Welcome to the Community!  This sounds like an excellent idea.  Do you have a photo of your cushion or the hands free-bags.  That is a great idea!  I use crutches too so that would be ideal for me also to carry my mobile phone, purse, etc.  Well done in doing all that!  My husband makes things from wood and has made an exerciser on another wheelchair which I use outside and has recently made me an exerciser slide (something like a rowing machine) that I sit my right leg in and it pushes up and down so it strengthens my leg while I am sitting on the bed.  I would love to be creative, although I do enjoy making greeting cards for people.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Very interesting idea @EcologicalMS and welcome to the community! Do you have a picture of anything you've made?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @EcologicalMS! This sounds so interesting! How long have you been sewing? I find it really relaxing :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love sewing. It is therapeutic. I sewed a cushion once when I was a small child. 
  • EcologicalMS
    EcologicalMS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have been sewing since I was a child. I can still remember making dolls dresses - aged 5. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.