Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

Underpaid ESA

Can anyone tell me why this benefit is only backdated too 2011 when I have been on it since 2008 !!

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This will be regarding those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA and they are only backdating it to November 2011 for those that are owed any money because of the error. It was originally November 2014 but they changed it.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • weeemma88weeemma88 Member Posts: 16 Listener
    Hi Poppy 123456 that relates to me,as soon as ESA came into force,I was moved from Incapacity Benefit onto ESA contribution based,I didn't know I could claim other benefits on top of ESA,also missed out on IB ESA not going to hold my breath in the hope for a payback,thank you for your reply earlier.😊
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Whether you'll be owed any backdated money will totally depend on your circumstances at that time. If you've been contacted and filled out the form then eventually you'll receive a decision letter. Waiting times for this are 12-20 weeks.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @weeemma88 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope this answers your question. Please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.