Wearing sunglasses can be more important than you think! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wearing sunglasses can be more important than you think!

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2019 in Coffee lounge

The sun is actually shining for me today, I hope it is for you as well!

Today is National Sunglasses Day which aims highlight the importance of wearing sunglasses. RNIB share their tips on how to protect your eyes from the sun after research has shown that people who do not wear sunglasses risk doing substantial damage to their eyes due to the harmful effects of the sun’s rays.

For most people, sunglasses are reserved for bright and sunny days. However, if you are sensitive to the light you may wear them more often. I have become incredibly sensitive to light as a result of loosing most of my sight over the last few years. As a result, I rarely would leave the house without wearing sunglasses and can wear them in the house on a particular bad day.

Why not share a picture of your sunglasses? How do you find your eyes manage on a sunny day? Let us know your thoughts below!

Scope

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Can’t agree more had mine on my had needed to wear my reading glasses and they fell off damaged the left lens but luckily still usable. Wear all the time when driving can’t tell my daughter about the damage as they where a gift costing ££££s. Just as important as sun block and staying hydrated.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for this @wilko!! I'm glad the glasses are still usable!
    Scope

• wilko
    @ Chloe_Scope, I look odd but they do the job and don’t obscure my vision when driving.  Thanks for the name upgrade but I don’t think I am worthy of the title, I tell it as it is.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I must admit that I tend to wear sunglasses more if I go on holiday rather than at home.  I think this is because the sun seems so much brighter there!  At home I just wear them now and again if the sun gets really hot, but I agree it is really important to wear them in sunny weather.  Your dog is lovely by the way @Chloe_Scope:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I always wear reactions glasses as I get migraines triggered by strong sunlight 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Glad they do the job @wilko, name upgrade?

@Ails, I know what you mean! It has been when I have become sensitive to light that I now wear mine a lot!

@debbiedo49, my normal glasses also have this, sometimes they don't change quick enough haha.
    Scope

• wilko
    @ Chole_Scope, thanks I meant that I am not worthy of an upgrade of name change missed out the ( not ),  getting tired that day.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    My glasses darken by themselves - I've always had it built in - can be a pain when I go from sun to shade as I often can't see for about a minute lol 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I wear sunglasses every time I go out. :)  I'm oversensitive to light so that's the main reason.  But I also struggle with eye contact and knowing where to look in social situations so I find it helps reduce the anxiety of that a bit.  They also reduce the amount of pollen getting to my eyes during hayfever season (tight wraparound style).  Quite a few of my older relatives have also had to have cataracts removed so I'm hoping to reduce the risk of that as well.

The only problem I have is that is that they keep breaking!  Wraparounds are almost all plastic and just don't take the frequent use well.  I also seem to have a slightly wonky face (I guess most people do, its not noticeable until I wear glasses lol) so the glasses don't sit squarely which puts extra stress on one side of them.  The best pair I had were a really cheap pair that cost £6 from sports direct, they had yellow mirror lenses which worked great and fitted really well, but eventually they snapped too and I haven't been able to find the same ones since!
  • Chloe_Scope
    @pcoventry, I can relate to this one!! Coming back inside and just waiting for them to change!

@OverlyAnxious, I'm glad you have found something that works for you, although breaking all the time doesn't sound the best! I think I need to look into some wraparound ones...
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    i welcome any day that`s slightly sunny, as sunglasses hide the bags under my eyes, from years of interrupted sleep!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.