Funds for retraining for employment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Funds for retraining for employment

trinity77 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I've been unemployed now for just over 5 years. Because of my illnesses and disabilities its is extremely highly unlikely that I will ever work for a regular employer again. Therefore my only chance of being able to earn money is to work from home.
I know what I want to do. I have the space to do it. Only problem is, is that I need to money to be able to go and retrain. The job center disability adviser told me there is no money. Ive scoured the internet looking for grants ect but nope, no one appears to have anything.
A bank loan is out of the question because Im not employed so on paper to them it looks like I can't pay it back.
How on earth are people supposed to try and support themselves? 

Im sick of sitting around on benefits that you have to beg for in the first place. I  living in a run down house that needs an awful lot of work doing to it, money which I don't have unless im employed. I need flooring. Not to mention a new car at some point because mines about to go kaput! 

I need to earn money!!!! and I need retraining to do this. But how can I get it? Does anyone know of anything? 



  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @trinity77 A warm welcome. What type of training are you looking to do? For instance if you need a further education course, these can be free, if you are unemployed.
  • trinity77
    trinity77 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, To start with i want to learn how to do Plasma Pen. Then after i'm earning using this method i'll go on to learn laser hair and tattoo removal. However trying to find the £6000 to get the training is near on impossible. 
    I've done all the free courses I can possibly do. But I can't earn money using any of them! What use is a Health and Social care diploma when I can't work in health and social care. I even have a diploma in religious studies just because i was bored. Its just so frustrating. I don't want a freebie, id be happy with loan! :(
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan for any FE level 3 to 6 Diploma.

    Speak to your course provider, to see if the course meet the above.

    You only pay it back, once your earning are over £25,000 pa.
  • trinity77
    trinity77 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Hi, The training isn't under their rules of eligibility. Its a certificate of competency, that you need in order to be licenced and insured. Its isn't a level 3/6 so doesn't count. Its frustrating because they aren't teaching what I need to do in regular colleges. The only places seem to be private firms. Its run over a few days so isn't classed as further education.

    Im just at a complete loss for what else I can do. Sit on benefits in a crappy house and wait to die it appear! Considering im only 42 i hope to have a long way to go yet! Why can't the government pull their finger out. I know im not the only one in this situation. You'd think they would prefer me earning my own money instead of having them pay my way.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @trinity77

    Try this one.

    As you explained you intend to start your own business, there are grants available, provided by government.

    You need to phone the Business Support helpline tel: 0300 456 3565 and see what might be available for you.

    Also check with your local authority if they have an Enterprise Scheme, to assist small business start ups.

    My local council does.

    Hope this helps.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Member Posts: 971 Pioneering
    I have this problem too.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.