Work for son with Mental health issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work for son with Mental health issues

Options
Ennazus
Ennazus Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited July 2019 in Work and employment
Hi, my son is 17 (18 in November) and is recovering from a serious bout of mental illness. He wants to find a part time job to fill his time over the summer and fit around college in September. However because he's been so ill he's not got any other experience of work and struggles with confidence. Is there any service or scheme out there that could help him find suitable work? 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Ennazus and thanks for getting in touch.
    We have a number of employment services that might be of use to your son, including Support to Work. I'm going to tag @Isaac_Scope and @mwila_scope as they might be able to advise you about what's appropriate for you.

Best wishes,
    Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Pia_Scope
    Pia_Scope Scope Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ennazus

Welcome to the community and thank you for the query.

Due to your sons age I would not worry much about his lack of work experience.
    When it comes to finding a summer job it might be too late to apply now as most temp positions would be filled already but a part-time role or even volunteering is probably the best option for him.

As I don't know your location I can't fully answer your question about employment support but most areas do have face to face services that you can find if you search the internet.

At Scope we offer both face to face and digital (phone, Skype or email appointment) services.

You can read more about them here;
    https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/

I hope that he will find something suitable.

Kind regards

Pia

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello

Don’t worry about his lack of experience yet. He is still young. In terms of finding work, I recommend using the Internet. Have you contacted your local JC or not? Also look at your local paper too. Alternatively he could always be a freelancer or entrepreneur as well. Which area do you live in? Is there a local college near you or not?
    One other option is to see if he could do a course. What are his hobbies, skills and interests? Start by making a list of them and take it from there. Does he enjoy cooking? 
    Visit this link for more information 
    https://dyscalculia-blog.com/2019/03/13/jobs-and-job-hunting-tips-for-people-with-disabilities/

Best of wishes! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.