My pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My pip

golfgod62
golfgod62 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good morning all my name is nigel I am 56 years of age.i have a question for you I have a long list of ailments and have just been awarded pip standard rate after getting mandatory appeal.i work due to my arthritis driving is becoming nearly impossible,I'm good for a max of 10 miles then the pain is real.i have heart failure which makes me breathless when walking,is it worth me going for a tribunal appeal to fight for higher rate.i need to change my trade I work because I have too,its hard to explain in a few words but the pain from my arthritis is 24/7,hence the post at silly oclock. Thanks for reading is the appeal worth trying for.
Thanks nigel

Comments

• drewdundee
    drewdundee Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    No one can say if it is worth it apart from you. PIP is not awarded based on a diagnosis. If you appeal you risk losing what you have already have.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need to get some face to face advice. PIP isn't about not being able to drive. This link will tell you what's local to you for advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ golfgod62, hello and welcome, by taking your award to a tribunal which is a twelve month wait away you can lose what award you already have. As @ drewdundee has stated PIP is about your abilities to cope manage the day to day activities of the descriptors repeatedly, safely and in a timely manner. You may wish to put in for a change of circumstances months down the line if and when you think and when you feel your abilities warrant to report a change.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    If @golfgod62 decided to challenge the decision and it got to Tribunal stage, there's no risk as such. This is because if the Tribunal decide there's a chance they could lose any award they already have they will warn them before doing so. The warning could either be in writing before the hearing or on the day of the hearing.  This will then give the claimant the opportunity to either take the award they already have and the appeal will be canceled or to risk it and carry on. There has been members of the forum that have had those warnings before the hearing and on the day of the hearing.

For the MR although most decisions remain the same,  there is chance they could lose what they already have or be given a higher award. No one on an internet forum can tell them if there's any risks to the award they already have.

Although people do work and claim PIP, the work you do can go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • golfgod62
    Cheers folks I may bide my time
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @golfgod62 and a warm welcome to the community! The advice provided has been really helpful but please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Frank8888
    Frank8888 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi i went to tribunal for heart failue after only being given 0 points for care and 4 for mobility the judge and doctor only looked at my ef which is <20 and gave me enhanced on both i also have arthritis but wasnt even asked all they wanted was my ef
  • Frank8888
    Frank8888 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Frank8888 said:
    Hi i went to tribunal for heart failue after only being given 0 points for care and 4 for mobility the judge and doctor only looked at my ef which is <20 and gave me enhanced on both i also have arthritis but wasnt even asked all they wanted was my ef by the way my 4 points for mobility still got paid while waiting for tribunal 

• golfgod62
    Hi frank I have af had 1 ha and 4 ca,s have a icd fitted they told me heart failure did not qualify only get it for my arthritis and as .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.