Severe Irlen Syndrome and DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Severe Irlen Syndrome and DLA

Louise7912 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son was recently diagnosed with Severe Irlen Syndrome.  Do you know if you can claim DLA.  He also has dyslexia


  • drewdundee
    drewdundee Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    DLA was replaced with PIP so it no longer exists. PIP is all focused around how the conditions he has affects his daily life not based on any diagnosis he has been given by a doctor. It might be worth getting some advice locally to see if he would be eligible. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,348 Disability Gamechanger

    If your son is under the age of 16 then DLA will still apply to him.
  • Louise7912
    Louise7912 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My son is 11 years old, Irlen Syndrome is a perceptual processing disorder.  It effects work and academic performance, behaviour, Attention, ability to sit still and fidgets all the time, poor concentration, depth perception - always falling over and very clumsy, difficulty judging distances, catching balls and , low motivation and low self esteem, confidence, migraines, Fatigue, environment changes, poor sport  performance.  blurred and double vision he also has a squint and has to have his print very big.  He doesn't sleep at night.   Doesn't like going anywhere He also has dyslexia and also on occasions he can be aggressive.  Had symptoms for over two years  but struggled academically since he started school.  Has to do physio everyday muscle's are weak. Always tired and eyes hurt and watery.  very anxious all the time and can be irritable
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,348 Disability Gamechanger
    As he's under the age of 16 then yes you would be able to start a claim for DLA for him.

    I would also advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for expert face to face advice.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.