Which benefit and when/how to claim! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Which benefit and when/how to claim!

Azaria2802 Member Posts: 4 Listener
In regard to my 21 year old son, were at a loss after reading up on benefit and gov.uk sites.
Sam has scoliosis, surgery is a no go as it would purely be cosmetic, currently awaiting refferal back to consultant as sam is experiancing more pain and physio is concerned his organs may be getting shoved to one side.
GP refuses to give a sick note as he says Sam is able to work even though l explained he is imited to what he could do due to mobility issues as well as back pain and his posture. We had planned to apply for ESA just so Sam would get a work coach who would discuss what work would be best suited for him. 
If Sam were to apply for universal credit (he has no income so no SDP) would they take his disability into account when he has to look for work? Would we be better off applying for PIP ( we have very little evidence less than a year old as Sam likes to muddle through and complains about nothing even when in pain) or should l just go back to gp again and explain again why we need a sick note, the physio agreed with us but wasnt allowed to give sick notes.
Sam finds it hard to understand forms and such and would not do well attending interviews even with a work coach but at the same time l dont want it to look like l have to do everything for him. When tested at his college last year they said he did show strong traits of dyxlexia? but nothing else was done.
lm just unsure what to do first as every benefit seemed to mention severe disability premium which Sam does not have.
Sam really enjoys IT but we were unable to afford the cost of this years course so l already feel lm letting him down but covering his contribution toward rent and council tax is begining to leave us short and l need to get him sorted for when lm no longer around.
Many thanks in advance


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,653 Disability Gamechanger

    It's no longer possible to claim Income Related ESA because all areas are now a full universal credit area so it will be this he will need to claim.

    Does he live with you or by himself? If he lives with you then he won't be able to claim for help with any rent costs. If he doesn't live with you then he'll be able to claim for the shared rate of local housing allowance for his area. This will be paid in with the UC payments.

    To claim limited capability for work then he will need fit/sick notes from his GP otherwise his claimant commitment will be the all work requirements group and he'll need to look for work and he'll be expected to work 35 hours per week at national minimum wage. See more about claimant commitments here and scroll down to all work related requirements. He may have an understanding work coach but without a fit note it's very doubtful.

    It doesn't sound like to me that he has a very understanding GP and if it was me then i'd be taking him to see someone different.

    PIP is completely different benefit and doesn't include rent costs. People claim this and work and isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    He'll need evidence to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

    It also doesn't pay any NI contributions towards his state pension, for this he'll need to claim UC.

    For further advice then it would be much better for you to make an appointment with an advice agency near you for your son to have some help, support and face to face advice.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.