Failure to make reasonable adjustments by Radian housing Landlord — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Failure to make reasonable adjustments by Radian housing Landlord

Stingray406 Member Posts: 1 Listener
After  waiting  and  bidding for  over  80 properities  on Hampshire Home  choice  i  get  offered  to  view  a  property  in East  Hampshire  that  was used  for a  disabled  man  who was  wheelchair  bound.  I  am  not  thankfully in  a  wheel chair  and  i can  walk a  little in my home  and  surroundings but my hip  crashed out  abou  6 months ago and i thought it had  broken  so  now when out i normally take the  stick and  use  it in case. I have  had  a Dynamic  hip  screw  in my right hip  as the  Consultant  said it was  going to  fracture, it has left me in chronic  pain and  walking with  a  gait.  
I have  different  needs  here  as  the  bathroom  has  been designed  for a  wheelchair  user  this  is not suitable  for  me ,  so  why  was  i  even allowed  to view the property  I ask  myself  if now the  Council  or  the  Landlord  are  not willing to sort out the  bathroom,  the  toilet has no  lid on it  and i  asked the  Housing Officer  about this  on viewing and  he  said  he  would  sort  it  out , i  also commented that i thought the  sink ,  mirror and  light was  too  low  he  said  again  he  would  look into this  , the  drain hole in  sink is completely  flat  so i cannot even wash  in it , i have to  fill  a  bowl  and wash  on the  seat  which  is  broken and  will  not stay  folded  up, the  water has no  variable  on the  pressure  its  either full on  and  water  is  luke  warm  on the  sink  , the  shower  is  just  about  hot  but  could be hotter  and  again  pressure  has no variable  on using the  sink the  water  goes  all  over my lower half of  my body  and is  making my lower back  ache  as i have  Coccyidnia  of the  spine this is not helping. The  screen i have  around the  shower  is  only a  half one  so  water  goes  all over the  floor  and  i am having to mope the floor  up  afterwards  the toilet  seat and  toilet  roll  all  get  soaked  it is not  designed for  someone  that  stands  to  shower  like  myself.  Also  i  have  only one  large window in the  bathroom  which  i feel  is  not  good  as i  cannot leave it open to air  the  room  as someone  could get it in, it really  needs  a  smaller  window  that  i  get  get opened easily  as  the  window  sill is  very deep  and  it  it  worked  by an  hand winder.  I have  just  recieved  a letter  via  the  MP  I had  asked  for  help George  Hollingbury  from  A  Caroline Barta  saying they  are not  going to  change  anything in  the  bathroom/ wet  room.  This  is  not  acceptable  and  i will  be taking this  as  far  as  I need  to  sort  this or  it will  kill  me  through  the  stress  they have  caused  me. 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stingray406 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your house, how long have you been there? It does seem odd to give a wheelchair adapted house (to the extent of lowering things) to some who doesn't use a wheelchair all of the time! I imagine it is extremely frustrating that these changes cannot not be made. Have you been in contact with social services? For them to do a house assessment of your own needs?

    I really hope you do manage to sort this so things can be a lot easier!

  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Stingray406   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Sorry to hear this.  I do know there has to be some answers out there.

    I rent a home that is from a Housing Association.

    Have certain issues and problems with them.

    You have done nothing wrong and I can understand your housing situation.

    You either take the property offered or risk not finding anything again.

    There are lots of problems with Housing Association properties you are not alone.

    I hope some one like CAB might be able to help and advise.

    Please may I add have you looked at The Which Website. Often has a lot of advice, guidance on many aspects of consumer. Living and much more.

    They produce guides on certain aspects of living and include detailed information.

    Hope that helps you.

    Wish you the best.

    Take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The council in this area is fairly good, though a bit slow. They are, however, very very strict on housing needs and here you would never have been offered a wheelchair property. Some of the things you mention (like height) are set for a wheelchair user who would be much shorter and therefore need things lower. It sounds like the Association is overloaded with wheelchair access properties and not wanted them to stay empty. It does seem though that their resources are stretched for much the same reason.

    In your position I would contact your local council and tell them you are housed unsuitably and ask about complaints procedures. Sometimes just asking gets a decent response.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 76 Pioneering

    As Chloe suggested I would second contacting Social Services. Another option would be to talking to Occupation Therapy service if you have contact with them in the past. If you don't you can usually either self refer to Occupation Therapy or ask your GP to refer you depending on the rules in your area.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.