If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

NI credits if my son is receiving PIP & UC

Cath59Cath59 Member Posts: 1 Listener
i would so appreciate your advice please, I've been to so many sites and I'm just not getting the info I need.
My 20-something son has a spinal condition and he was awarded UC and PIP, but, I believe that I would need to apply for NI credits that would go towards his pension credit? Could you please point me in the correct direction?

He was full time in Uni, until March 2017, and then had to stop because he was in so much pain.
He was diagnosed with a spinal tumour in March 2017, but I only found out how to apply for UC in Oct 2017, and PIP in March 2018. PIP has awarded him until March 2020, when it will be reviewed. He will be having major surgery 6-8 months from now, which may improve matters, and maybe not.

So, basically, it appears that I could apply for credits towards NI? but, I've gone from site to site, and I can't find the info. Please help? Thanks!


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,955

    Scope community team

    Hi @Cath59 and welcome to the community. Universal Credit automatically pays Class 3 NI credits, so he won't need to apply for them.

    Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.