Travel expense — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Travel expense

Options
Sod
Sod Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I'm due to go to a PIP tribunal from Scunthorpe to Doncaster it will cost me around £20 will the DWP reimburse me for my travel?
Thanks

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sad, Hello and welcome, travel expenses to and from a PIP assessments are claimable from the individual assessment companies, by obtaining a claim form your assessment center and sending in proof of your expense with your claim which is repaid via a bank transfer within a few weeks. As for tribunal you would be best to contact DWP for their views and policy on this mater. 
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Options

You contact the HMCTS not DWP 

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision/at-the-hearing

Claiming expenses

You may be able to claim for reasonable expenses for going to the tribunal, for example:

• travel expenses to cover your fare if you get there using public transport
    • travel expenses of 12p per mile if you drive, plus 2p per mile for up to 2 passengers
    • meals - £4.25 if you’re away for more than 5 hours, £9.30 for more than 10 hours or £13.55 for more than 12 hours
    • loss of earnings - £38.96 if you’re away from work for up to 4 hours or £75.59 for 4 hours or more
    • care expenses up to the National Minimum Wage, for example for a childminder

The clerk will help you fill in a claim form when you go to the hearing.

You’ll need to include proof, for example:

• receipts
    • a letter from your employer for loss of earnings

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    why do some claimants have to travel outside their own towns for assessments?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The very same reason we have to travel to the nearest major hospital or train station or motorway joining junctions. 
  • Sod
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt reply and information it is much appreciated.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    At my assessment the receptionist asked me if I needed a travel payment form before my interview. 
  • Sod
    Options
    Thank you for your help for reply why I will make sure I get all the bus receipts
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    What about travel costs to hospital.
    A friend lives in Ludlow and has to travel to QE hospital in Birmingham.
    It's 3 buses and 2 of them run hourly. 
    Would she be able to get a taxi or costs for these journeys there & back 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,047 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    What about travel costs to hospital.
    A friend lives in Ludlow and has to travel to QE hospital in Birmingham.
    It's 3 buses and 2 of them run hourly. 
    Would she be able to get a taxi or costs for these journeys there & back 
    That will depend on circumstances. If they do qualify for travel costs then they will be expected to use the cheapest most appropriate forms of transport. More information here. https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/healthcare-travel-costs-scheme-htcs/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.