Severe disability premium and housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium and housing benefit

Options
JumpingJames
JumpingJames Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Can someone tell me if I am entitled to this?

I am on universal credit. I was formerly on income-based ESA until September when I changed due to a change in circumstances, I have been on PIP since October but waiting for back payments. I live alone.

I know that SDP is not paid under universal credit. HOWEVER, I get housing benefit (which is normally paid through UC, but because I live in supported accommodation cannot be paid through UC and has to paid through housing benefit). Housing benefit is a legacy benefit, which on the government's website says should make me eligible for SDP. 

I read that SDP on housing benefit however only makes it so that I can have a higher level of income before I get housing benefit taken away from me, rather than directly giving me £65.85 to spend. Therefore, why does the government website say that I should get an extra £65.85 per week.

It says: 'Disability premiums are extra amounts of money added to your:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • housing benefit

Severe disability premium

You’ll get:

• £65.85 a week for a single person

Any money you get is added to your benefit payments automatically so you usually do not have to apply for a disability premium.

How you’re paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account such as your bank account.'

Can someone clarify?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.