If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Severe disability premium and housing benefit

JumpingJamesJumpingJames Member Posts: 19 Connected
Can someone tell me if I am entitled to this?

I am on universal credit. I was formerly on income-based ESA until September when I changed due to a change in circumstances, I have been on PIP since October but waiting for back payments. I live alone.

I know that SDP is not paid under universal credit. HOWEVER, I get housing benefit (which is normally paid through UC, but because I live in supported accommodation cannot be paid through UC and has to paid through housing benefit). Housing benefit is a legacy benefit, which on the government's website says should make me eligible for SDP. 

I read that SDP on housing benefit however only makes it so that I can have a higher level of income before I get housing benefit taken away from me, rather than directly giving me £65.85 to spend. Therefore, why does the government website say that I should get an extra £65.85 per week.

It says: 'Disability premiums are extra amounts of money added to your:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • housing benefit

    Severe disability premium

    You’ll get:

    • £65.85 a week for a single person

Any money you get is added to your benefit payments automatically so you usually do not have to apply for a disability premium.

How you’re paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account such as your bank account.'

Can someone clarify?


Sign in or join us to comment.