Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


pheebs Member Posts: 1 Listener
My son is in receipt of PIP & I am his full time carer. I claim carers allowance, is there anything else I can claim? I used to get income support but stupidly took a part time seasonal job last year which ended my claim as not entitled & now they are no longer excepting new claims. 
I do get tax credits with the disability premium & child benefit. 
DWP currently take £26 a week for an old loan & I'm struggling on £40 a week. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,886 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019

    The only benefit that's possible to claim now is Universal Credit. Claiming this will mean your tax credits will stop and transfer to UC. Any housing benefit you claim will continue to paid for a further 2 weeks then transfer to UC. Your Carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC claim but then you'll need to make sure the carers element of UC onto the claim.

    Child benefit isn't part of UC and will continue to be paid as normal, along with any council tax reduction you receive.

    If the child remains in full time non advanced education then the child element of UC is only paid until the 1st September following their 19th birthday, unlike tax credits where it's paid until their 20th birthday.

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,193

    Scope community team

    Hello @pheebs and welcome to the community. :)

    I hope @poppy123456's detailed response has answered your question but if there's anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.