Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

About catering on universal credits

becky02becky02 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm a single mother of two and I care for my mother...iv been offered a little part time job how will this affect my money 

Replies

• becky02becky02 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    An I'm on universal credits 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When claiming carers allowance you can’t earn more than £123 after deductions per week. 

What other her benefits do you claim besides the carers allowance? Maybe income support and housing benefit? If you do claim any of these the working and earning can affect the amount you can claim. 

Before starting work I’d advise you to visit a local advice agency near you for a full benefits check.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

Hi @becky02 and welcome to the community. 

If you'll be earning under £123 a week then you can continue to claim Carer's Allowance and work. The deduction amount for your wages would depend on the rest of your Universal Credit claim and what your work allowance is. Do you have any idea what yours would be? It depends on whether you have housing or dependant children on your claim. 

If you're earning more than £123 a week you wouldn't be able to claim Carer's Allowance but you could continue receiving the Carer's Element on Universal Credit.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.