my goals — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my goals

m45yrs
m45yrs Community member Posts: 7 Listener
im 45 ive got mental healtth issues had rubbish schooling ive only now returned to education i want to be a chef ilove cooking but because of my past i lack the confedence so i been dooing nothing im dylesic feel like quitting my dream any help would be usfull many thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @m45yrs. Elsey66 is absolutely right. You should be really proud of yourself for getting back into education and I've no doubt that your confidence will grow as you get closer to reaching your dream. Keep at it!

If it helps you at all, MIND have a few resources about improving self-esteem here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @m45yrs

I am also dyslexic, I was only identified as being dyslexic in my early 40s and I was diagnosed as having Auditory Processing Disorder as the underlying cognitive cause of my dyslexia in my late 40s back in 2003. 
    As i have discovered living with dyslexia is about identifying the underlying cognitive causes or causes, (auditory processing disorders, visual processing disorders, attention disorders or any combination of these disabilities) so that you first understand the nature of your limitations and more importantly begin to develop and use our alternative compensating skills and abilities based on our strengths.  
    Running our coping strategies can also be very tiring and taxing, and which can lead to working memory issues, as runnig our coping strategies can sometimes over load our working memories which are much like the RAM of a computer, if overloaded it crashes. 

I hope you can get the support you need in the education system 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.