Need help!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need help!!

demzz920 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hiya, so my son who has ADHD finds it hard to regulate his emotions when angry or upset will lash out and destroy my home. 
Is there any way he can see an OT who can help
with ways around this and help him use some sort of tool in this case?


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @demzz920 and a warm welcome to the community!

    How old is your son?

    An OT maybe able to help. Or even some form of anger management which will allow him to understand his emotions and support him in managing them better.

    It can often be about learning the signs of getting worked up, and having things in place which will stop the situation from escalating.

    The SENCo (if your son is at school) may also be able to help :) 

  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,872 Connected
    edited July 2019

    How old is your child now? Definitely ask about OT and anger reduction therapy too. Does your son go to school? If so the teacher may also be able to help you access resources and services. Also try exercise as well. Try the breathing technique to help.
    Do you have a GP or not? If so ask them to refer you for anger therapy. Also a squeezy ball is a good short term solution to your problem. Has he always been like this? A diary may help. Is he on medication? I would also talk to them about meds that may control the anger. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @demzz920, I hope you have had good week :)

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @demzz920
    How are you getting on?
    Senior online community officer
  • Felicity_Alumni
    Felicity_Alumni Scope adviser Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi  @demzz920,
    I am a parent adviser on Scopes Navigate service. If you child has been diagnosed with a disability/condition in the last 12 months, or is currently on a pathway towards a potential diagnosis the Navigate service may be able to offer some support.

     Please follow the link for more information, and to apply online.

    Kind Regards

    Felicity :)
    Felicity Hilton


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.