Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Anyone growing fruit or vegetables in a garden/indoors?

M_AnthonyM_Anthony Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
I don't have a garden, but I have been growing from two pots on my balcony strawberries and raspberries, in which I got some last year. I also have two micro green kits growing by my window with vegetables.

Replies

• pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,998 Disability Gamechanger
    got a couple of plants in tubs...tomatoes, radishes and spring onions. Had some radishes and onions, but toms are a long way off, still little and green
  • M_AnthonyM_Anthony Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Cool that is a nice variety. I grow tomatoes on my balcony along time ago, they tasted different to the ones in the supermarkets, I can't remember what type they were. I will at some point grow some more.
  • PeteofpethPeteofpeth Member Posts: 9 Connected
    I'm lucky to have a fare size garden to were I have just pulled (By I tiss my son) a very good crop of potato's, onions and carrots to what we have had along with our lunch, what was very tasty.   
    M_Anthony said:
    Cool that is a nice variety. I grow tomatoes on my balcony along time ago, they tasted different to the ones in the supermarkets, I can't remember what type they were. I will at some point grow some more.
    yeh, they taste MUCH better than supermarket`s
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    I live in a apartment. On my windowsill in my bedroom are some flowers. I help out on a allotment however, we grow strawberries and raspberries on there.
    We are planning on planting potatoes and turnips next year as well. In the past as a child I grew pumpkins and corn and leeks. 
  • GettinOldeGettinOlde Member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    First time strawberries - and they taste of strawberries. 😋

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Nice! I have one just like that, it hasn't grown any at the moment through.
    I have a question. How do you grow onions and carrots? We also want to grow swede and beetroot and plums too. 
    get a seed pack, a tub and some compost and also give `em feed
    I was wondering about tomato liquid for plants in the shop, how good is it?
    M_Anthony said:
    I was wondering about tomato liquid for plants in the shop, how good is it?
    Why don’t you ask? I recently saw some plants for sale at my local garden centre. Do you live near a garden centre or not? 
    Not too far, just wanted an independent opinion.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    We've got a basil plant on the windowsill at the moment. Although, it's mainly cacti!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    I have a cacti as well on my balcony, it is easily the oldest plant I have. It be at least 30 years old now!
    They are really cool! My brother loves them so we have A LOT!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April2018mom   You were asking advice on how to grow plants and vegetables for the garden.

Please may I advise have a look at your wellbeing community health unit. Some of these do a range of courses on growing vegetables and plants for the garden.

I used to volunteer in gardens. These are places like resource centres we all have in the community. Often need volunteers then you learn together with others.

Lots of enjoyment and you grow from the resource centres kitchens.

Look on line.

One other piece of advice is to consider looking at compost bags for potatoes and tubs for Onions, Carrots, Beetroots, any roots if not have a big garden.

Beans and Peas need a wall to climb up.  

Grow herbs they easy to do and maintain and grow . Rosemary and Thymes.  Hardy.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

:
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    I have just planted some catnip seeds in a small pot, usually I buy it as a spray for the cat. It will be interesting to see how fast it grows.
    Hello @April2018mom   You were asking advice on how to grow plants and vegetables for the garden.

Please may I advise have a look at your wellbeing community health unit. Some of these do a range of courses on growing vegetables and plants for the garden.

I used to volunteer in gardens. These are places like resource centres we all have in the community. Often need volunteers then you learn together with others.

Lots of enjoyment and you grow from the resource centres kitchens.

Look on line.

One other piece of advice is to consider looking at compost bags for potatoes and tubs for Onions, Carrots, Beetroots, any roots if not have a big garden.

Beans and Peas need a wall to climb up.  

Grow herbs they easy to do and maintain and grow . Rosemary and Thymes.  Hardy.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

@thespiceman
    Thank you. I went to a local garden centre today for advice on growing seeds and came home with two packets of tomato seeds and leaflets too. We will try growing tomatoes this weekend and see what happens. 
  • SeanchaiSeanchai Member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    An easy way to grow tomatoes is ....buy tomatoes at the supermarket ( buying whatever variety you want to grow) , cut the tomato into slices ( about quarter of an inch thick , put a slice ( or if you want hundreds of tomatoes plants) a couple or more slices in a pot nearly  filled with compost put the tomato slices on the compost and cover with s quarter inch or so of good compost ....within ten to fourteen days you will have more tomato plants popping up through the compost than you can possibly use . I keep the strongest ones for myself and give the rest to villagers who want them . ( although very few villagers now grow their own tomatoes or peppers these days )...so i end up putting hundreds of these plants grown from seed in the compost heap. 
    This year I have an exceptionally large crop of tomatoes ...mostly sweet millions and sun gold ...but they are ready now ...I will have to give loads away to neighbours ....but I enjoy doing that. 
    Earlier this year I read about a new fertiliser for tomatoes and peppers ( and other fruiting crops)..this fertiliser claims to up your crop yield by up to 400% ...I must admit that compared with just tomorite fertiliser ( which I have used every year for nearly 30 years ) this new one has at least doubled my crop size ....I have hundreds of tomatoes hanging on the plants I fed with this new fertiliser....I have at least 200% to 300% more tomatoes using this new ( new to me) fertiliser it was around £12 for a small tub ..but it did around 12 plants and I left the other four plants without this fertiliser and they are nothing near the amount on the plants ( I also used it to feed my peppers and they have flowered and really big plants but I await the peppers coming ( sweet and hot peppers) ..oh ..the newish fertiliser is called "Incredicrop " ...from my own experiments it is well worth the price ...and last as season ....once a week I feed my tomato plants " Epson Salts" ...
    Good luck growing your own tomatoes and peppers ...but it might be to late this year to get a good crop ...mine went in in April,  in a small night heated "tent within my greenhouse . Good luck everyone 👍
    Hello @Seanchai   Sorry to hear you had to throw away Tomato plants you could donate them to Charities look on line nearest ones in your area.

Just a suggestion some of these charities have gardens most do have some form of recreation for the members.

Any tomatoes make the Original Pasta sauce my Italian friends that I knew this time of year. Making Pasta sauce in huge quantities freezes well.

Used Small Plastic Containers.

PASTA SAUCE.

Any quantity Tomatoes diced and de seeded.

Into a pan with Olive oil and Salt and Pepper touch of Dried Oregano and some Garlic and Onions simmer.

About 40 minutes or a little longer till the tomatoes becomes thick then blitz up in a blender or a food processor till fine.

Add if you wish to Basil or Parsley.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    I know this doesn't come under fruit and veg, but has anyone had/have a Venus flytrap? I am wondering if they are easy to care for.
    edited August 2019
    M_Anthony said:
    I know this doesn't come under fruit and veg, but has anyone had/have a Venus flytrap? I am wondering if they are easy to care for.
    I found this guide online 
    https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/resources/venus-flytrap-complete-guide/ 
    Hope this is useful!
    Thanks it has good information.
    edited August 2019
    I have no local charity shops Spiceman,....and no transport now as I had to stop driving    but I will get in touch with them next year if a charity wish to have them I would gladly give them the tomato plants.....I dislike throwing them out ( but they are very easy to grow from seed ) ...thanks for the sauce recipe , I will give it a try as I have hundreds of tomatoes this year  . Thanks. 
    M Anthony .....hi , I have had venus fly traps for years , they do take a bit of looking after . They can be underfed, overfed( I use mealworms to feed them) there are so many different types of carnivore plants these days . 
    One site I would advise is .. thecarnivoregirl.com ...she sells various carnivore plants online and she probably knows everything there is to know about carnivore plants. She will answer any questions you may have on carnivore plants . It's a great hobby to have . I have three various types of carnivores .
    Any questions i can answer for you i will gladly help . Good luck .
    edited August 2019
    Hello @Seanchai   Thanks for reply just some ideas for you.  I know these resource centres many up and down the country.

I used to volunteer in. Usually County Council funded offer a range of courses to those of our community .

Also some are trusts and have gardens they use the produce for the kitchen.

Seems a waste that is all.  

I am the same as you my friend. No transport and not easy getting out.

Use taxis. 

Happy to share and care.

Hope the recipe is helpful.  You can add Peppers or Chilli to the sauce.

Great to talk to you Hope your doing OK.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    HI Spiceman ....I have never been anywhere in the last six months , ( dentist was my last time out in February) If I did not have the greenhouse I would go crazy . 
    I await the date for my face to face assessment , so that's a bit of pressure ...but I try to have the feeling of " whatever will be will be" .
    Take care my friend 👍
    Hello @Seanchai   Thanks for reply. Sorry to hear this . Know this myself.

Got three appointments this week first time out for around maybe three months or longer.

All I can say is glad to be supportive .

I do understand that helps. Having a garden.

If I can help with anything just let me know always here.

Like reading your posts very much. 

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • blueduckblueduck Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello @Seanchai, I too have a greenhouse that keeps me sane! Also I have my assessment next week😱
    Hello @blueduck   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please may I suggest if you need to know anything about your assessment. Please get in touch.

We can hopefully answer any questions you may have.

Please have a look around the website for further information, support.

Wish you well to a positive outcome.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    edited August 2019
    Hi blueduck...and welcome . Good luck with your assessment,  please let us know how it goes 👍
    @Seanchai Hi, thanks for the info!

@blueduck I hope everything goes well with your assessment.
    Hi guys, it is National Allotment Week!

We are talking about this in the Coffee Lounge if you want to join in. We also have information on the Gardening for Disabled Trust and how to apply for a gardening grant if you're disabled.
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
Sign in or join us to comment.