Borderline personality disorder — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Borderline personality disorder

Options
jaynegemini63
jaynegemini63 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, I'm new here, looks like a great site.
I'm off sick with depression, I've had it since my 20's, and I'm 56 now, I've managed to hold down jobs, but have been off with depression in every job I've had. I work at Tesco now, have done for 2 years, and this is the first time I've been off sick with depression there, I'm into my 5th week off, and realised I might have quiet DPD,.
Obviously I will go to my GP to see if I can be diagnosed with this.
I'm not sure where to go from here with this...do I claim PIP, ESA, I don't get much sick pay, and won't get any shortly and my husband and I are worried about money.
Can anyone help please?

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    Dear @jaynegemini63

It sounds like you've done a great job of keeping yourself going in spite of your difficulties, and going to work is a good antidote to depression as is keeping active, exercise, hobbies, mindfulness etc.

The thing is about PIP/ESA is that it's not about the diagnosis per se but how something actually affects you, ie you don't need a diagnosis of BPD if the real problem is depression and that is having an impact on you. 

I'm wondering whether you have sought out any help, recently or over the years, to actually tackle the root cause of your depression so that you can stay in work given that it might actually help your mental health more than being on benefits? 

Perhaps you could talk to your GP about that and have a look at whether there is any community support in your area for example in the area I live we have this:  https://www.wellbeingexeter.co.uk/  there might be something similar in your area perhaps?

I hope that helps.

Emma
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jaynegemini63 and a very warm welcome to the community - it's great to have you here!

I understand how daunting this can be. We aren't medical professionals and (like you have said) cannot make that diagnosis.

Have you looked at the criteria for ESA and/or PIP?

PIP is a benefit which is given on your ability to move around and your ability to be independent with daily tasks. It is possible to work and claim PIP. I am attaching more information about PIP, and the PIP self- help test. This may give you an indication about if you may be entitled to it.

ESA can also offer financial support if you are unable to work. This also does not require a diagnosis. Here is more information about the ESA criteria.

If you need support with anything else then please do let us know :)
    Scope

• jaynegemini63
    jaynegemini63 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Emma, yes I've had councillors over the years, nothing has really helped. I don't think we have a community thing like you have. But thank you for your reply, really appreciated.  :)
    Chloe, thank you, I've looked into ESA and Pip, I think I need to ring them, as the forms are so complicated!! 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jaynegemini63
    It's good you've tried out counselling but it's a shame it's not really helped; have you tried mindfulness?  I thought it was a load of old rubbish when I first heard about it but there is a LOT of evidence that it helps with depression - it's not a quick fix, you have to practice it and keep going with it, but if you haven't considered it it might be work looking into.  It's possible that your GP may know where you can source mindfulness sessions or your local MIND might run sessions.
    I hope you can find a way through.
    Emma

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jaynegemini63, I can understand it being a complicated process!

If you wanted to seek personalised support around if you should make a claim then you could ring our helpline on 0808 800 3333 or you can search for local face to face advice here: https://advicelocal.uk/ 

Please do let us know how you get on, and feel free to have a look around the community and have a look around :)

We have the coffee lounge which you may find helpful if you just want a chat!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.