Walking speed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Walking speed

riget
riget Community member Posts: 29 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, do assessors take this into account? After being told the claimant couldn't walk at more than half the normal walking speed the assessor was more interested in how far they could walk before having to stop.

Thanks.

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    @riget

They should do as it's part of 'reliability' which applies to all the descriptors.

If your condition prevents you walking at more than half the speed of an unimpaired person then, in theory, it matters not how far you can walk. Even if it was one mile it wouldn't be 'reliable'

In my experience (admittedly based on only one claim) and reading posts on here the assessors don't take this into account.
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Hello there

I'm not an expert but in my experience they do take it into account. It is very difficult to answer though as most people don't go around measuring these things. They seem to want to know how long and how far. I assume it is so they can decide the difference between someone with a disability and someone without.

I am sure there is a time issue in the regulations too. It is something like it should take two or three times the time it takes a person without the disability. I'm sorry I can't remember exactly. I sure there will be lots of replies soon.

There is a the reliable (to a good standard), repeatable (as often as needed) and safely rule which states tasks should be able to be completed to this rule. If they can't then points should be awarded.

I'm not sure I have been that helpful but maybe I have given you some idea of things to research.

Take care
    J

• kentpete123
    kentpete123 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    I have pulmonary rehab twice a week so my walking distance is measured 14m before I have to rest (severe COPD) I have a letter from then stating maximum 50m not in reasonable time and can't repeat have included this with my new pip claim will see what happens and keep you guys informed 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Yes. My son has a birth defect that affects his walking ability significantly. I used the additional information box to give them more details. I recommend that you read all of the descriptors carefully then decide which one best fits.
    Activity 12 is about your walking ability. There are a number of letters A to E that are used to help claimants understand. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.