Appel tribunal via Phone call ! So scared ! Please help ! Any advice much appreciated! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appel tribunal via Phone call ! So scared ! Please help ! Any advice much appreciated!

shabbyrose
shabbyrose Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi Guys,,,
Wonder if anyone has had an appeal tribunal for ESA via phone call?

Ive been given a date and also told that I could send any relevant new  info pria to hearing!

I am so scared ,, cannot eat or sleep and I’ve got 30 days to go!
My blood runs cold at the prospect.

Coming on here is my only form of relief.

Currnetly trying headspace meditation after reading a post suggesting it helps!

Anything pacifically that I should state that could be helpful!

It says it will be 60 minutes long.
I have terrible concentration and memory problems and scarred I’m going to say something that could incorrect!

Im in so much debt as I couldn’t face  claiming any benefits since loosing my ESA.

Thankyou for reading my plea for help!
Wishing all a pain free summer and Goodluck  for anyone who is also appealing a decision.

dani x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need to make sure than any extra evidence is sent ASAP and ideally should arrive with HMCTS no later than 10 days before the phone hearing date. Do be aware that they won't be able to take into consideration any worsening of condition.

You'll be asked question about how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work but i'm afraid that no one can help with what you should state that will help you. The only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself.

Good luck!!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shabbyrose
    shabbyrose Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thankyou so much Poppy !
    You’ve been such a help over this period!
    Your an inspiration , Thankyou just doesn’t cover it xx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck!

Send them evidence to defend your claim. Be prepared for all type of questions on your disability. Answer honestly. Provide examples too. Describe the nature of the impairment. 
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Hi Dani @shabbyrose

I'm so glad you are trying to meditate. That is great. I have just started.

I understand the anxiety you feel in this situation.

Some practical tips. I'm not sure how useful they will be as I don't know your situation.

First off you can have someone with you for support.  You can also have representation with you so you could approach an advice agency to see if they could represent you.

I was unaware they did tribunals by phone. If this is going to cause you difficulty and put at an disadvantage I would explain this.

Don't worry about showing the behaviour you are worried about. You mentioned anxiety, memory problems and being concerned about communication. Let them see this. I know this sounds strange but people tend to hide their difficulties. I always do this. We hide the things that make us feel vulnerable but it would be a good idea not to on this occasion.

As for what you should say, this is a chance to tell them how you are affected and why you fit the descriptors for ESA. I would download a copy of the descriptors. This will show a descriptor and the points awarded for this. Before the appointment you can then go through these and work out where you fit and think of examples. It is sometimes a good idea to go through this with a someone you trust. Others can have a more objective view of things. 

Provide extra information. Health staff can be very helpful in providing evidence but sometimes get it very wrong simply because they don't understand the rules so provide the ESA information and descriptors and clarify what you can and can't do. I understand that a carer or someone close to you can provide a written statement of the assistance you require.

These are just ideas. They might or might not be of any help to you so please don't worry if you read this and think it isn't relevant.

I notice you said you hadn't applied for any other benefits. I understand not wanting to do so but it  would be a good idea to claim all you are entitled to. You can receive help to claim if you can't face it or need assistance. I would suggest looking at PIP. You can claim it whether you receive any other benefits or not and regardless of income or work status.

Take care
    J

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.