Returning to work — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Returning to work

geeforce Member Posts: 29 Connected
hi good evening  I’ve been getting uc since November it’s a joint claim with my wife we get the disability premium of £330 cos of my wife can’t work
but I’m looking to return to work and I will earn approx 18000 a year will we still be entitled to any help with  housing benefit as I get full hb
kind regards 


  • Hart86
    Hart86 Member Posts: 393 Pioneering
    Universal Credit works very differently to legacy benefits so whether you’d still get help depends on the total deductions, everyone starts with their full rent entitlement (and other elements) and the total is reduced by any deductions for wages, not a specific element.

    To work out how much UC you’d get you would use your TAKE HOME monthly pay (after tax, ni and pension contributions) and work out the wage deduction.

    Because your wife has the LCWRA element (and you’ve said you rent) your work allowance (wages that are disregard) is £287. So you’d do:

    Monthly take home pay - 287 = ?

    Then multiply the answer by 0.63

    The answer is how much they will deduct from your total universal credit.

    For example, say my total UC before deductions is £1336 including rent and I earn £1000 a month in wages.
    I would do:

    1000 - 287 = 713

    713 x 0.63 = 449.19

    So my universal credit would be reduced by 449.19 (1336 - 449.19 = 886.81

    So I’d continue to get £886.81 Universal Credit and my wages of £1000 a month.

    Hope that helps!
  • geeforce
    geeforce Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Thanks for your reply hart I will take home about 1300 a month my rent is 116 a week sorry I should have told you kind regards 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,720 Disability Gamechanger

    Pop your details into this benefits calculator and it will tell you what you could claim


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.