Esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Stunninglady27
Stunninglady27 Community member Posts: 36 Listener
I am on Lcwra for universal credit ... but I am also on esa contribution based , I was sent for an assesment for esa despite already being on Lcwra for universal credit , I have had my report back and look like I’ve got Lcwra for esa but I’m due to be reassessed in october for Uc will they have to do another assessment or will esa pass this over to universal credit that I’ve just been assessed in July 

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    I am on Lcwra for universal credit ... but I am also on esa contribution based , I was sent for an assesment for esa despite already being on Lcwra for universal credit , I have had my report back and look like I’ve got Lcwra for esa but I’m due to be reassessed in october for Uc will they have to do another assessment or will esa pass this over to universal credit that I’ve just been assessed in July 
    Hi @Stunninglady27
    It may be a good idea to ask your Universal Credit 'work-coach' by sending her/him a message via their online facility, as they should be able to contact ESA on your behalf. It's silly, I know, but your recent assessment may need to be taken again in October. I'm sure that your UC worker will find this out for you if you ask them. I've asked my own one several questions throughout this year and they always respond with 'accurate' & helpful advice and/or info...   
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Ask your UC work coach. Get them to call on your behalf. 
  • Stunninglady27
    I did ask on my journal and they said esa will contact them I don’t have a work coach as om
    not in the work related group ... It’s all very confusing as I’m on Lcwra for universal credit and esa said I had to go to assesment for that , I only revive £73.10 contribution esa just now don’t know why I had to attend that assessment last week when I was already in the Lcwra but I went and I’ve had report back already saying I’fir the assesment for Lcwra for esa not even sure if I get more money for that but I’m sure I will find out just thought somebody here would have better knowledge than some of the people in universal credit  thankyou 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Stunninglady27. Can I ask if you were assessed on UC? Your contribution-based ESA should have transitioned over and you shouldn't be needing to be assessed for both.
    Because you're on contribution-based ESA, you're automatically awarded LCWRA on Universal Credit and as yours is contribution-based, you should continue to get both this and the LCWRA on UC, with the contribution-based ESA being deducted from your UC £ for £.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Further to this: Once you've got your decision from ESA, ask Universal Credit to get in touch with them to confirm your new award period dates. Hopefully this will exempt you from another assessment.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Stunninglady27
    I got an assesment for Universal credit in October 9th last year and was awarded Lcwra until 9th October this year , then esa sent me for an assesment two weeks ago which I’ve received the report now stating I meet the requirements for Lcwra for esa but not awarded yet as has to go to decision maker but normally go by report I think , I just hope I do not need to go to assesment again in October this year thanks for your reply 
  • Stunninglady27
    Can you tell me do you get more money than £73.10 a week off esa if you’ve got Lcwra ??? Yes I know universal credit takes it all £ for £1 but is it backdated to you first put sick line in to esa all confusing me 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Stunninglady27. Sorry but I'm a little confused, UC and ESA use similar terminology for completely different things.

My understanding is that ESA Support Group is the equivalent to LCWRA on UC and pays £111.65 a week. 
    ESA WRAG (Work Related Activities Group) is equivalent to LCW on UC and pays £73.10 (unless you claimed ESA before 3 April 2017, or you've been moved onto ESA automatically from Incapacity Benefit). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Stunninglady27
    No I’ve only been on esa contribution based siince January 2019 , I have been on universal credit since Oct 2018 having to claim Uc as I was off sick from work , since June 2018 ... I was assessed for Lcwra for Uc in January and put in that group , continued to receive esa of £73.10 and still receive it assessed again for esa and only just had report back saying I meet the requirements for esa support group but not awarded yet . Just wondering when they actually make decision does that amount change and is it backdated ? I do get the extra £336 for Lcwra through Uc at present 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited August 2019
    Ahh I understand the question now, sorry @Stunninglady27! Once a decision is made, the Support Group rate should be back dated to the 14th week of your claim for ESA. Don't forget that ESA is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit though. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Stunninglady27
    Thankyou yes that is what I was trying to explain 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.