Journals and can you trust your work coach and case manager? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Journals and can you trust your work coach and case manager?

GettinOlde Member Posts: 495 Pioneering
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Apart from the various journal messages left for my wc, I had left a couple under the category 'A Payment' that went unanswered.
One such message was about having repayments deferred for a UC advance, which I had to nudge my work coach about who then gave me the incorrect number to call, see this.
Searching around the interweb I found this ...
A payment – this generates a to-do for the case manager to respond to

But, someone says, here, that journal messages only have a priority of 6 and you'd be better of calling the service centre.

Some useful info on journals here.
Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,108

    Scope community team

    There does seem to be an inconsistency between how much case managers/work coaches reply to journal messages. They do ask you to post in your journal rather than calling (and it's good practice because it also gives you evidence of a conversation) but if you don't hear back within 48 hours it is worth calling them, especially if your query is urgent. 

    As the link you provided mentions, messages under 'a payment' and 'services issues' go to your case manager and issues a task on their end but depending on how busy they are depends on how quickly they'll respond. When you call, you're usually directed to your case manager but if they're on another call it will be diverted to another in their team who will have access to your account. 

    My advice would be to do both — start with the journal message and —if possible— chase up by phone.
    Community Manager

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.