DLA to PIP transfer timescale & our annual holiday... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP transfer timescale & our annual holiday...

Options
Sheilamoose
Sheilamoose Community member Posts: 17 Listener
My daughter (almost 30) yesterday received letter about her DLA stopping & claiming PIP. She phoned me in a right panic as did not understand the letter and all she could see was “...your DLA will stop...” (she has Learning Difficulties, Speech & Language Disorder, Autistic Spectrum Disorder & in ESA Support Group). To be honest I was amazed that she had even opened the letter as she usually stacks them all up unopened between a chair and the sofa! I have no problems with filling in the PIP form for her as have always done her DLA & ESA forms. I know criteria for PIP is different to DLA, having ‘been through a fight’ myself last year with my own DLA to PIP transfer (& won after challenging the medical report).

She has until 26 August to claim PIP. The problem is we are away on our annual holiday from 9-31 August & I do not have the time available to even draft out what to put on the PIP form before we go.

It seems generally that the PIP form arrives within a week of claiming. As we are away 9-31 August would it be best to:

(1) Claim now & risk missing the date for returning the form? [We will be away when form arrives];

(2) Take letter on holiday, pray for strong continuous mobile signal & short queue to claim on Friday 23 August? [PIP form should be sitting on doormat when we return on 31 August – then phone, explain & ask for an extension];

(3) Wait for ‘reminder’ that PIP has not been claimed yet? [Would risk not knowing new claim date until we return];

(4) Phone up, explain situation & that the earliest I will be able to return the PIP form would be the middle of September? [Would they be that cooperative???]

I know that you can request previous DLA reports to be taken into consideration but she has only been seen once by an EMP (whilst at college about 11-12 years ago). Do they also consider our own previous private medical reports submitted, or do they have to be resubmitted? I do not have a copy of her last & only EMP report, done at nearest Jobcentre, so is there any way of obtaining a copy of it? I know you can ask for all evidence used to reach a PIP decision but would rather have the EMP report now, rather than later, as it would be useful for reference when drafting PIP answers.

There is no further medical evidence available as all her medical conditions are ‘life-long’. The last reports I have are from when she was at College (to get extra support as it was not forthcoming). These were commissioned by the College (“We see no problem!...”) from a qualified Speech & Language Therapist & a Psychologist who each gave in-depth technical reports, ‘Diagnoses’ (same as Guy’s) and pages of advice. SALT & Psychologist each said there was no change in her level of functioning relative to her age scale since she was last seen at Guy’s Newcomen Centre (our family doctor referred her to ensure a placement at 5 in the correct school & to keep her there at 11 when our LEA tried to de-Statement her!). LEA asked for ‘second opinion reports’, who totally agreed with Guy’s lol.

Any help (or suggestions of getting around our holiday problem [except ‘cancel it’ lol] would be greatly appreciated).

Many thanks

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @Sheilamoose - personally I think that you might be overthinking this and making it difficult when it's not.

Ring up and claim and do the forms when you get back from holidays. Don't even consider filling in PIP forms whilst you are away....

I hope that you have good weather...

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don’t worry. Call up tomorrow and explain to them. I’m sure they will understand... If it does bother you, make a photocopy of the forms, fill them out tomorrow and send them off prior to going away. Best of luck! 
  • Sheilamoose
    Sheilamoose Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both. Will take your advice, ring up tomorrow & hope for a sympathetic ear. We're off to sunny Scotland for the Fringe Festival, so fingers crossed it's not snowing! lols
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sheilamoose - think positive! (it's often snow-free in August)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sheilamoose, I hope you are able to ring up and will be able to enjoy your holiday :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Think positive thoughts. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Sheilamoose

When you phone up, you can ask for a 14 day extension (on top of the 30 days).

Explain about your family holiday.

That would give you two weeks in September to fill form.

See what medical records are held by GP, you can get a free copy.

We live on English side of the Solway Firth and wish to point out that Edinburgh has not seen snow fall since August 2001. Weather forecast - tropical, bring lots of sun screen.

Have a brilliant time at the world’s greatest festival.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.