Moving out a flat into a House Currently on PIP ESA & SDP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out a flat into a House Currently on PIP ESA & SDP

needhelp2019
needhelp2019 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Could anybody  advise me on my current situation.

I currently live in a 1 bedroom flat with a housing association , but i have a horrible neighbor whom is destroying my life through unnecessary complaints and deliberate attempts to get me removed from my property. The poor women does not know about my mental health problems and schizophrenia and she has become a threat to my life in one way or another and i am very scared as to what i may do to her if she continues to threaten my life in this way. This problem is also playing hell with my mental health and paranoia and i just feel like burning the whole building down to the grown with her locked inside her home.

My only option is to move out. But the situation i am in means its not as simple as just moving out. I will not just go and uproot myself and go through all the hassel of effecting my benefits and moving homes , but i feel i may have to for the sake of the neighbor whom is becoming a problem in my life.

I would just like to know if i can move into a house without having to effect all my benefits and making new claims to receive housing benefit.

I currently receive PIP ESA and SDP 

Can i simply find a new house, view it, pay the deposit and rent , move in and goto my council and tell them i have moved and to start paying rent to my new landlord.

I have heard i may have to go onto universal credit, and that i will not do, as that is the worst desision anybody could ever make in my own personal opinion , and i refuse to have my current stability destroyed because of a benefits change.

If i cannot simply just move out, then im going to have to take drastic measures and im very afraid of what i may do if i feel trapped in this situation.

pLEASE HELP.

Thank you.#

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,347 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're claiming SDP then you won't be able to claim UC. On the 16th January 2019 new legislation came out the prevented those claiming SDP from claiming UC if they have a change of circumstances. The rules are in place until January 2021. So yes, if you move house then you will be able to re-claim for housing benefit and remain on all of your existing benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @needhelp2019
      There is a procedure when dealing with these issues.
    You have to speak to your landlord and as you have mental health issues they should class you as a vulnerable tenant.If you get no help from them you can take your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman who will look into it for you.
    As you are on PIP and ESA with SDP if you do decide to move it may trigger a change of circumstances which could mean claiming Universal Credit @poppy123456 is our best source of knowledge on this (sorry to be cheeky Poppy) 
    There should be, within the Association a designated Housing Officer for your area. Policies should be in place to help vulnerable tenants such as yourself I would advise you to make an appointment for them to visit you.
    Also most Associations do have a mediation service for cases such as these so if you can access this it may help to sort things out.
       Good luck. Debsidoo.x
  • Louise2001
    Louise2001 Posts: 24 Connected
    Hi @needhelp2019
    You have to follow the correct procedure when trying to resolve the issues. Speak to your landlord first of all and since you have MH issues, you should be seen as a vulnerable person too. Have you talked to your HO- housing officer yet? Policies created for the sole purpose of helping disabled people, should be in place. Good luck! Make a appointment to talk to them. 
    If they cannot assist, involve the Ombudsman. Also there may be a meditation service worth trying as well. 
  • needhelp2019
    Hi,

As you're claiming SDP then you won't be able to claim UC. On the 16th January 2019 new legislation came out the prevented those claiming SDP from claiming UC if they have a change of circumstances. The rules are in place until January 2021. So yes, if you move house then you will be able to re-claim for housing benefit and remain on all of your existing benefits.
    Thank you poppy.

So your 100% certain that if I find a house on the Internet is can go and view it. Move in then tell the council is have moved andown my benefits will not be effected.

That's great neway. I'm 40yrather old. On high Pip low mobility email support and SDP

Can anybody confirm this and offer anyore details

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,347 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. Yes 100% positive that you can't claim UC. See link for confirmation that the new rules were introduced on 16th January 2019. https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8494

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @needhelp2019 and a warm welcome to the community! If there is anything else we can do then please do let us know :)
    Scope

• needhelp2019
    Thanks again poppy.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.