Friend with Learning Difficulties and ? BPD, PIP appointment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Friend with Learning Difficulties and ? BPD, PIP appointment

jose2
jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
Hello all on site !
Hoping someone maybe able to help with my question concerning a friend who has within the next 3 weeks a PIP assessment appointment, from the age of 16 years old he was awarded DLA  for life,now at the age of 39 yrs has to attend PIP appt,he has no-one who is  able to go to this appointment with him,so I am wondering If I am or will be able to go with him,(for support)c/o of his learning disabilities,because I too, in 2016 had to attend a PIP appointment c/o of my claiming Care and Mobility ,I have told him I do not think I will be allowed to go appointment for support ,does anyone know if  I would be eligible  to go with him without it affecting my PIP in the future.

Comments

• jackie005
    jackie005 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Hi Jose, I go along with my adult son and adult foster son for all DWP meetings as neither of them can represent themselves, my foster son has severe brain fog and my own son some learning difficulties, so please go along with your friend and speak on his behalf. I don't see how it could affect your PIP in any way at all.There is some really helpful info re PIP on the M.E. site I'll put the link up for you. Good luck Jackie..https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2019/08/navigating-disability-benefits-hints-tips-and-information-resources-07-august-2019/?fbclid=IwAR14bdPh_61TpfxzzcFsuN-SBVWh2HrgTq2d6z-t41h9osW341Y9-aoG7xw#Hints

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jose2, I hope you are well!

You are able attend the assessment as well. It is okay to speak on their behalf if this is needed, but it is better coming from the person if possible. I understand this cannot always be done though. :)
    Scope

• jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Thank you for reply's @jackie005 and @Chloe_Scope,that have given me comfort in the fact that I would be able to attend an PIP assessment with this chap,his lack of comprehension of the simplest questions asked of him are chronic, due to his learning difficulties,he can get quite frustrated and extremely angry if someone keeps asking him the same questions over and over again,because I have known him for quite a few years I am able to calm him down.I have been quite upset and also angry with the lack of help given by Dr's and other service's to address all his mental issues and to get to the bottom of what is really going on with him.It is so painful for me to watch and listen to him trying to explain different thoughts and feelings he has from hour to hour every day.
    I know too @Chloe_Scope that he will have to try and speak for himself at assessment and have explained this to him ,though I think that me just me being there in the same room on the day has given him a little  comfort .
    Thank you both for replying to my question so soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand that one @jose2! I hope it goes well and that he feels more comfortable with you there :)
    Scope

• Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Ilovemywifesomuch01 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hello jackie005 please do go with him he/she will need support in clearly saying what difficulties they have on a daily basis I would focus on the disabling out of all of them as BPD can be managed with diet and exercise so in the eyes of an assessor there is a solution to this condition. Your friend will need evidence and the evidence from all care professionals involved in his/her care can't be anything that's older than the last 2 years with out this evidence your friend may not get pip. Hope that helps.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.