getting fit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

getting fit

sim66
sim66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,
I hope you are all having a lovely evening. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any personal trainers in the east london area who specialize in training people with physical disabilities. I'm not a regular gym goer but would like to get the perfect summer body. 
Thanks Guys! 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sim66 welcome to the community! Have you checked out what resources our Disability Sports section has to offer? I'm not aware that any of them are directly for personal trainers but the resources can help you to find a club in your local area and they may be able to put you in contact with a personal trainer :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • sim66
    sim66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @Ami2301 thank you so much, I'll take a look! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sim66 and a warm welcome to the community! I have found that a group of gyms have a disability membership. Further down the page you have the option to see where your closest gym is that supports this membership. I had a quick look and there were a few in East London, I hope this helps! :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello!

This is one of my favorite topics.
    Do you receive Motability magazine or not? There are articles on the benefits of exercise in there worth reading. Alternatively you could always sign up for a exercise class. What do you enjoy? Take a look at this page for ideas on exercise too https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/chair-exercises-and-limited-mobility-fitness.htm
    Also do speak with your doctor or therapist. Perhaps they will offer ideas as well? Consider your fitness level. Join a club for motivation and tips. Near me are at least two horseriding clubs, maybe you could ask them if you can take lessons? What about swimming? Or tennis? Your town will have a tennis court. 
    Many disabled people benefit from water workouts. My local leisure centre runs classes in the water for people. Most gyms have a personal trainer as well. Walking to the shops counts as exercise. Try gardening and pilates. 
    Have you tried running? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.