Ileostomy, hernia surgery around ileostomy and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ileostomy, hernia surgery around ileostomy and PIP

Options
joejoe215
joejoe215 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi
can anyone offer advice on how best to complete PIP review form? Hubby has permanent Ileostomy and is going in for surgery next week as he’s developed a huge hernia around the muscle wall.  He’s already had his pip reduced to basic rate, we think he’s going to be taken off it completely... my son has also got a permanent Ileostomy due to Bowel cancer and despite appealing, he was taken off pip completely. Any advice would be most welcome. I have contacted Ileostomy Association and Colostomy Association they can’t help with financial matters or form filling. Local CAB don’t understand Ileostomy issues and advised they’re not best placed to support with form filling. Thank you 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    as we are often advised, claiming PIP isnt about your disability exactly, but about how much help you need,  to do things in a timely, safe and repetitive way.

So that`s what you need to think about when you write your answers in the PIP form.
    xxx
  • joejoe215
    Options
    Oh I see, thank you so much that’s really helpful ... we didn’t know it was based around help, thank you xx
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    oh I`m so glad my short reply has helped. I`ve read so often about how different PIP is to DLA. Good luck xxx
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @joejoe215 , PIP, Personal independence Payment. The benefit is to help you remain keep your independence. Applying for PIP you have to meet the criteria of the PIP descriptiors, and be able or notable to complete them in an appropriate, repeatably and in a safe and timely manner. When you apply the application form asks many questions all relating to the PIP descriptiors in how you the claiment cope, manage each one and give details, examples of why you can not. PIP is not about illness, disability or the medication you are taking, but about your ability to preform the descriptiors relating to the PIP assessment 
  • joejoe215
    Options
    Thank you @wilko for your reply, it’s really helpful to know. I realise now how I’ve gone wrong with my sons form as we answered about the illness he had. So I’ve taken this information and advice on board , thank you x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.