PIP, just appealing the mobility score — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP, just appealing the mobility score

Chrystal2807
Chrystal2807 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I saw my friend today. He had the same assessor as me. He suffered a brain stem stroke aged 44 and his needs has worsened since his last assessment. He was previously on enhanced on both and previously awarded 34 points in total. The situation now is he has been awarded Enhanced daily living and standard mobility, as a result they will take his mobility car which he relies on massively. PIP are now saying that he can appeal about the points on the mobility activities and this will not affect his daily living scoring. I havent heard of this.....as anyone come across this before??

Comments

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    He can appeal but he should get advice from the c.a.b or someone who knows detailed information about pip appeals as they could potentially take his daily living down to standard as well or lose mobility even if he is reassessed as its according to the health professionals doing the assessment at the time of the assessment /reassessment and they can vary from person to person or as the dwp is always looking to save money it seems assessors are probably advised to try and cut down on people's benefits as much as possible if they are able to or easily able to
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    If the dwp has said that he can appeal the mobility part solely then perhaps they are right i expect you probably can do 
  • Chrystal2807
    Thank you Kami
  • LyndaMcK
    LyndaMcK Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I saw my friend today. He had the same assessor as me. He suffered a brain stem stroke aged 44 and his needs has worsened since his last assessment. He was previously on enhanced on both and previously awarded 34 points in total. The situation now is he has been awarded Enhanced daily living and standard mobility, as a result they will take his mobility car which he relies on massively. PIP are now saying that he can appeal about the points on the mobility activities and this will not affect his daily living scoring. I havent heard of this.....as anyone come across this before??
    I have just sent in a Mandatory Review asking them to reconsider reducing my Daily Living award from Enhanced to Standard.
    Like you, it was obvious the assessor that came to me had made her mind up even b4 she came in to my house! Everything to do with this award is so stressful and these interviews actually make my condition worse because of the anxiety they cause!
  • Smudger
    Smudger Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    The problem is that most of the assessors have very little or no medical training and do not know what they are talking about. I had to appeal my DLA after an assessor stated that I could climb stairs, which I am not able to do unless I sit and move slowly 1 step at a time. My DLA award was reinstated and back dated. The point is had the assessor have some empathy with my condition the stress to me and my wife could have been avoided. I am fed up with all these so called assessors always think that you do not have mobility problems when you clearly do and of course want to save money.
  • LyndaMcK
    LyndaMcK Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Exactly Smudger!
  • gwen65
    gwen65 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    yes you can just appeal the mobility side of the pip I did I lost because there was someone there from DWP and he was asking questions about my anxiety which had nothing to do with my mobility get some advice from cab unless you can get someone from disability right in your area  see if you can see them sooner rather than later I was told to wait until I got the date and then I couldn't get anyone to see me 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chrystal2807, how are you doing?

This isn't something I have come across, but that's not to say it's not true. I certainly would seek further advice from Citizen's Advice to ensure this is correct.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• westwellgoddard
    westwellgoddard Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    You can just appeal pacific parts ie. descriptor 3 or 10 and why .. I’ve done this myself as didn’t disagree with everything but some parts I did. Didn’t do me no justice lol
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Chrystal2807, I believe that when you appeal certain areas, they'll review the entire award, including the specific areas you're appealing.
    Best of luck to your friend and please let us know if we can help at all.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chrystal2807
    Thank you so much for all your help everyone xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.