It varies tick box moving around. pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It varies tick box moving around. pip

boriswho
boriswho Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
Moving around page of pip form:
I ticked this box and got zero points.
I ticked this box for a reason 
I didn't explain the reasons very well at application stage, MR stage and didn't really get the opportunity to explain at tribunal.
I'm trying to explain now after a tribunal loss.
Don't tick this box people say....?
I read this after I ticked it and sent my first application.
I'm applying again with reasoning for ticking this box this time. I feel I should tick all the boxes but isn't that what the "it varies" tick box is for....?
If you do tick the "it varies box" and walk into your assessment or tribunal without showing signs of this "it varies" issue you will be denied any support it seems to me.
If you attend assessment you must show on the day of how it varies to some degree, if you do not you will be denied any support like me.
Assessors just assume if you walk in that you can do any distance repeatedly, reliably, and safely.
My tribunal panel asked about a number of walks I had did I didn't explain when I had my chance too about any of these walks but instead decided to leave the tribunal as it was very distressing talking to these strangers about my personal problems they and they therefore  assumed I could do these distances set in moving around
distance repeatedly, reliably, and safely. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, it look as if you had every chance to give verbal evidence at your tribunal but declined, you discussed your personal information with other professionals so why not the tribunal panel members who did or do not know you and is confidently held. The tribunal had powers to award you a mobility award for PIP but pride got the better of you. 
  • boriswho
    i deffinatley felt intimidated
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I felt uncomfortable at my last tribunal, I was grilled heavily, but guess what, I won the high rate mobility award I went in for, and that was even with walking into the room.

They have a job to do and do have to ask questions to carry out that job.
  • boriswho
    what is it that assessors do when they sit with heads burried in theyre computers seemingly ignoring "the claimant", am I allowed sit closer or better still  view what they do on the screen ? to make sure what they do is accurate? @ilovecats
  • boriswho
    also i have to bne honest and tick the box that applies to me which is all of them so should I tick the "it varies" box
    otherwise its goibng to contradict what im saying
  • boriswho
    is that meaning the majority of days when i proceed to try to walk as if nothing is wrong?
    or when ive spent a few days recovering from further injury to the knee joint which keeps heppening when a knee gives or severely aching later? and then proceed to walk and then it happens time and again and so on...and has been like this for 2 years now 
    and then how do i know thats its actually injured again as ive no further scans to show that this is a further injury to my already weak knees from the innitial fall from height, and that its just a passing flare up not not actually my joint breaking down because of the innitial injury which has started off this process. All i can tell you is that its bloody painfull and there are varying severity levels to this.

does it just actually mean how it affects me the majority of the time when im actually walking only and not after ive walked 1 day to the next and the affects of this sorry if i sound dumb i just dont understand things sometimes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    We seem to be going round in circles with this again. You really have had so much advice regarding the mobility part. Ticking the varies box could very likely see you being refused again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Boris - I tend to agree with ilovecats ...you're making it complicated when it's not..

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    boriswho said:
    is that meaning the majority of days when i proceed to try to walk as if nothing is wrong?
    or when ive spent a few days recovering from further injury to the knee joint which keeps heppening when a knee gives or severely aching later? and then proceed to walk and then it happens time and again and so on...and has been like this for 2 years now 
    and then how do i know thats its actually injured again as ive no further scans to show that this is a further injury to my already weak knees from the innitial fall from height, and that its just a passing flare up not not actually my joint breaking down because of the innitial injury which has started off this process. All i can tell you is that its bloody painfull and there are varying severity levels to this.

does it just actually mean how it affects me the majority of the time when im actually walking only and not after ive walked 1 day to the next and the affects of this sorry if i sound dumb i just dont understand things sometimes
    I think I get the question.  I can see why you asked it.

In fact I had to ask my assessor, as he said to me "is this distance most days?"

I replied

"I dont know because I dont try to do it most days as when I walk I need to rest in between"

Then he replied

"Hypothetically if you did try to do it on a daily basis"

So basically from that I would say make an educated guess based on what would happen if you tried to walk that distance every day.  Otherwise you get penalised for days you just resting with no walking.

Also I agree with everyone above that "it varies" is a bad idea.
  • boriswho
    ilovecats said:
    Just pick which one affects you on the majority of days. 

You can ask to sit sit and watch what they are typing. It never bothered me.

However, even if they recited what you say word perfect, they still don’t have to agree with you. If you’re anxious about accuracy then record the assessment.
    becasue of variability if say i walk 20 meters 10 times over one day and im in pain for at least 2 days with this however this is differentiates when I walk 200 meters 3 times and thereafter i cannot walk for at least 4 days then im in need of stronger pain releif so i max dose 4 days solid(this litarrally just makes me comfortable in a chair or my bed I cannot walk comfortably during this time and other parts of my body become stiff and painful) the effects of the pain releif take another 2 days to recover from with bowel problems withdrawal symptoms and generally feeling unwell time now surpassed since intitial walks of 200 meters is now 6 days and im slowly begining to move around again upto 20 meters  so should i select 20 meters or 200 meters baring in mind how much i actually try to do in one month for instance 4 seperate days walking over a period of one month in theory i would have to rest for 22 of those days doing price proceedures on my knees becasue of invariably buckling of the knee...
    so what would you say tick now? 

sorry for my post yesterday(if you seen it) seemingly posed as a threat it wasnt...sometimes my mind wanders alongside my fingers following behind.somewhat of a keyboard warrior nowadays
    :)

• boriswho
    after all its about being honest as possible when filling a form like pip in becasue even assessors have an uncanny ability to see through people?
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
     Which ever one you say walking 20 metres 10 times in one day or 200 metres 3 times in one day means it's very likely you won't qualify for the mobility part because you could walk that distance repeatedly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • boriswho
    what is classed as repeatedly ?2 times 3? are you sure? about this show where its says this pls?

• boriswho
    i know its difficult im going throught this appauling system
    so heres some music for to relax your soul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amGT7Iw88TU
    i eagerly await your answer @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    repeatedly – able to repeat the activity as often as is reasonably required. What you stated above means you can do the activity repeatedly. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#reliability-1

You can't make the descriptors fit you and this is what you're trying to do.

• boriswho
    Excuse me this is untrue :
    You can't make the descriptors fit you and this is what you're trying to do.
  • boriswho
    I consider your statement untrue did you guess this?
  • boriswho
    Sounds to me like an assessors belief
    So you clear are one
  • poppy123456
    If that's what you think, then carry on. I'm not sure why you decided to flag my comment, when i didn't say anything bad in either of my replies.

FYI i'm not an assessor, never have been. Neither do i or have i ever worked for DWP. My benefit knowledge comes from my own research, which is one of the reason i'm a community champion here on scope.

Please be mindful of your comments.
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    This is persistent and almost daily behaviour on this section of the forum. 

So please take your own advice and block/ignore the Poster, instead of all jumping into the situation.
    If someone exasperates you use ignore feature and move along, instead of gathering like a pack and pecking and poking, until a situation erupts, which is distressing for other readers. 

As a community we should be as supportive as possible to fellow members.
    https://www.scope.org.uk/about-us/vision-mission-values/
    Thank you 
    @Adrian_Scope

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.