Pension potts — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pension potts

Pete2 Member Posts: 86 Pioneering
Hi , newbee here 1st message so please be nice to me lol. My question is this........i care full time for my disabled wife who is on top level PIP.  We do have savings , but after 30 years living in the same house its now time to return some TLC , so i wish to dip into my private pension pots to help pay for repairs and updates to make our house more adaptable for my wife..iam 62 years old so i do not receive state pension ...yet....i do receive IS, which i know i will loose if i cash in one if my potts, but if i do cash in will i also loose my carers allowance as well......ty...Peter


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    Here is some information on pension pots
    I recommend contacting your local bank also. Alternatively you can apply for a DFG.
    Sorry I have no experience with carers allowance however. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,653 Disability Gamechanger

    Carers Allowance isn't affected by any pension you cash in. Before cashing in the pension i'd advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you. Any savings of more than £6,000 will affect your IS by £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything over £16,000 and all means tested benefits will stop, including any housing benefit and council tax reduction you maybe claiming.

    As all areas are now a full Universal Credit are you won't be able to claim for IS any time in the future, it will be UC you'll need to claim.
  • Pete2
    Pete2 Member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Hi ty all for a quick reply........the cash pott/potts will be used for house repairs and some mods to make life much better for my disabled wife....such as converting our bathroom to a wet room....installing a stair lift the cash wont be around for any length of time......again ty for the replys.......Peter.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.