Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Working Following A Stoke - Advice Needed

dzeve Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2019 in Benefits and financial support

I am looking for advise for my mother. She suffered a stroke 4yrs ago. The effects being visual impermeant, short term memory issues and Stoke Fatigue (a huge factor)

She returned to work around 6 month after the event - to a Admin / Accountancy role.

Her job stood for a lot and their is a huge amount of pride associated - she did not want to stop or even slow down in the work place.

This has been an ongoing battle, each of the above effects are big factors in her job role. over time she has struggled more and more, the pace of the job has increased - unfortunately since the stoke she slowed down. This has resulted in growing pressures in the work place. With an amount of determination she has taken it upon her self in the past 12 month to increase her hours by way of early starts, late finishes and working weekend (the role is fill time - Mon-Friday 9-5) Although this has assisted with her work load, the stroke fatigue has been a compounding factor. In her own words her brain become scatty and hazy and memory issue increase as she becomes tired. She is working past the point she would normally been mentally winding down or even going to bed (she tends to sleep from around 8pm since the stroke) - in some cases she had made error whilst working late.

Although this has been a difficult point to but across to my mum - more so for her to accept,  but have suggested looking for alternative works, which are less mentally tasking. In her own admission she believes and accept the current situation can not continue and is happy to look at alternatives.   

Before taking the plunge we as a family are trying to understand where she stands finically if she has to take either a drop in wages or hrs. Is there anything to assist back fill any drop finically??

I have tried to complete a number of 'Calculators' all of which give massively different results, which we now have no confidence in. I have contacted a number of people form the Stroke association to the local authorities, all of which can not give us advice / a definite answer. We need to understand this before she makes a move and ends up in a finical situation. 

I have looked at PIP and have now have a covering letter form the Stroke Association giving more detail on the condition. However through previous discussion with PIP she did not score/meet the criteria as she was quite able at home with the exception of the occasional prompting.

I also believe there is some for of 'Access' benefit??

At this stage any help, guidance, advice in any which way would be massively appreciated by both the family and my mother as the situation is gathering pace.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,038 Disability Gamechanger

    The only benefit that's possible to claim while she works is Universal Credit but claiming this will depend on circumstances such as household income from herself and any possible partner she may live with, savings and capital.

    As UC is a means tested benefit then if she has a partner they will need to claim as a couple. Also if she reduces her hours and then claims UC there could be a sanction for up to 26 weeks. Putting her details into this benefits calculator may help, even though you said you've done it before. A benefits calculator is only correct if you put all the correct details into them.

    If you're still not sure then your mum needs to speak to an advice agency near her for a full benefits check.

    I've never heard of Access benefit, sorry.

    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. A letter from a stoke association giving more details on the condition is not classed as evidence, unless it states how your mum's conditions affect her. If it's general information about stokes this won't be accepted as evidence.

    If she's struggling to work the hours she's doing she should really speak to her employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,581 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dzeve and very warm welcome to the community!

    Are you referring to Access to Work? This can provide support within the workplace for disabled people. The support tends to be equipment, software, transport or a support worker. However, this is not added financial support.

    Like @poppy123456 has said, reasonable adjustment is something that would be useful to talk her employer about. Here's a list of resources which talk about reasonable adjustment.

    If there is anything else we can do then please do let us know. :)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.