carer allowance effects on other benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

carer allowance effects on other benefits

Sandri
Sandri Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hi everyone, 
My son is an autistic, young person. He has universal credit with LCWRA (limited capability for work-related activity). Recently, he was award with PIP (personal independence payment) enhanced rate in daily living component and standard mobility needs. I am not working and don't have any benefits. I would like to apply for carer allowance but I need to be sure I won't affect his benefits. If someone can help me. Many thanks.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hello and. Welcome, as long as you meet the Carer’s allowance criteria for claiming your sons PIP benefits will not be affected. Look on Gov site under Carer’s allowance for full details. When you have filled in the form and sent it off it takes 6 to 8 weeks to come through. If you are receiveIng housing or council tax benefits these will stop temporary while the council is informed of your claiming Carer’s allowance then when you send proof  of the Carer’s allowance it should be reinstated and any money owed payed directly Into your bank account. That’s how mine went while claiming for my wife as my Carer.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @Sandri,
    Welcome to the Community.
    You said that you are thinking about claiming Carers Allowance for looking after your son. You also said that you are not working.
    Do you claim any other benefits? Depending on your personal circumstances you may be entitled to Universal Credit in addition to Carers Allowance.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Sandri and a warm welcome to the community. 

I hope you've found @wilko and @Joanne_Scope's advice to be helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sandri
    Sandri Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Thanks for your advice.  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.