6 year old Great Grandson — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

6 year old Great Grandson

JCC
JCC Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
My Great Grandson has had difficulties possibly since birth.   He has just turned 6 and attends an ordinary state school.  He is in the process of assessment but this hasn’t been completed as yet.  It has been pointed  by an educationlal psychologist out that he needs additional support in school but this requires funding that is not forthcoming until he has a full diagnosis.    He does have speech and behavioural problems and does not interact with others very well.    

His mother is to all intents and purposes his sole parent as his father my Grandson has Mental Health Pronlems etc. from childhood as well.
So although he loves his children and tries his best  he is not always very good at coping.  

My question is can my GGrandson’s mother claim any benefits such as DLA on his behalf?  Or does she have to wait for a diagnosis.  She is studying at University   - I think the lass is a blooming marvel - so I presume she has student loans? 

Is the little lad eligible for any help please?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JCC, great to hear from you.

It is possible to claim DLA without a diagnosis. Here is more information about DLA.

They also may be entitled to other benefits which can be calculated using our benefit checker.

Please do let me know if I can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim DLA for a child you must show they need more care, attention or supervision than a child of the same age who isn't disabled. Evidence will be needed to support a claim, supporting letters from school, assessment reports etc.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.