Housing benefit query 40yr old on PIP ESA DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing benefit query 40yr old on PIP ESA DWP

needhelp2019 Member Posts: 23 Listener
hI, I have been looking into moving into a house and i have found a suitablwe location and the price per month is £450

I need a little help understanding the following please.

I checked to see what rate of housing benefits i am entitled being on PIP / ESA / SDP / MOB

and im not sure weather i claim for 1 or 2 bed housing as the house has 2 bedrooms.

I am 40 yrs old

claiming long before 2000

the rate i am awarded by the gov.uk site are as follows

One Bedroom Rate:
£90.90 per week

Two Bedrooms Rate:
£108.26 per week

does this mean if i move into a 2 bed house i will get £108.26 per week rent paid

or will i only receive the 1 bed rate.

thank you.

Im just dont want to move into a £450 per month house 2 bed if the rent wont be covered.

Im happy to pay the shortfall but how much of a shortfall will i have to pay according the the above.

Any help is appreciated.

than you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019

    As you're living alone then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. There will be approximately £50 per month shortfall in your rent.
  • needhelp2019
    needhelp2019 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    edited August 2019
    thank you for your reply poppy.

    But the 1 bedroom rate is $90.90 per week. that only adds upto 360 per month does it not???

    or do i get the extra 3 days = £50 for the 31days a month rule... As most months are 31days  not 4 week.

    I just dont want to move in to find my shortfall is £90 a month.


    As you explained to me before that as i am claiming the SDP i will still be able to claim housing benefit and there will be no effect on my other benefits i.e i wont have to go onto UC . 

    there will be no other surprises right. i can simply view the property, move in and simply change my address and apply for the housing benefits.

    I saw somewhere that if there is a change in circumstances i could be moved onto UC.

    Any idea about this.

    thank you

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    Housing benefit is paid monthly but when you look on the local housing allowance it states weekly. To work it out as a monthly payment you need to do the following £90.90 x 52 =£4,726 then divide that figure by 12 to get the monthly payment. Total amount £393 per month. You can also put your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you how much you can claim.

    As you're claiming SDP then you won't be able to claim UC until at least January 2021.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.